Collecting or reading entertainment trivia is a hobby. Sharing a link (below) to an interesting tidbit about two real life people that have always intrigued me: Houdini and Doyle.
– Harry Houdini (1874 – 1926), well-known illusionist / magician; a man who loved his wife and mother.
♦ ♦ ♦
– Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 – 1930), noted creator and author of the master detective Sherlock Holmes. The photo below is Doyle in 1930, the year of his death, with his son Adrian.
♦ ♦ ♦
● Houdini and Doyle were very close friends, but something caused them to part ways.
● Skeptoid published a fascinating read on how the friendship between Houdini and Doyle dissolved.
● HINT: The clash between the champions of scientific skepticism and supernaturalism.
Dunning, B. “Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.” Skeptoid Podcast. Skeptoid Media, 2 Sep 2014. Web. 11 Apr 2017.
● Interesting Quotes to Ponder:
Anyone who believes in magic is a fool. ~ Harry Houdini
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. ~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Photograph Image Credits:
Houdini Family Photo By http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c12416 & http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/haventohome/haven-century.html, CALL NUMBER: McManus-Young Collection <item> [Rare Book RR], REPRODUCTION NUMBER: LC-USZ62-112416 (b&w film copy neg.), Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1191993
Doyle and Son, 1930, the year of his death By Bundesarchiv, Bild 102-10068 / CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5414720
* * *
Scoured the Internet for feedback and opinions about a television series and sharing a link to one of the reviews that pretty much expresses my 1st impression as well. The first episode of “Houdini and Doyle” aired May 2, 2016, on Fox at 8pm CST. Kind of a disappointing tribute to two guys who were larger than life. Eh! That’s entertainment! (O.o)
Suggested Gifts for Those Fascinated by These Two Iconic Figures:
Houdini’s Final Incredible Secret: How Houdini Mystified Sherlock Holmes’ Creator
The Witch of Lime Street: Séance, Seduction, and Houdini in the Spirit World
Arthur and Sherlock: Conan Doyle and the Creation of Holmes
Through a Glass, Darkly: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the Quest to Solve the Greatest Mystery of All
- From Sherlock Holmes to Tartan Noir, a decade-by-decade guide to the best British crime novels(telegraph.co.uk)
- harry houdini’s ‘the grim game’(3quarksdaily.com)