If you’ve been having trouble finding decent amounts of food in DayZ, you may be looking in all the wrong places. There’s an easy way to keep healthily supplied with consumable meals in the game if you know where to look or how to catch the food. For instance, there’s a low-risk fish trap you can use to stock up on sardines.
YouTuber Tingg101 has a brief five minute video teaching gamers how to catch fresh sardines.
You can check out the video below to get an idea of what you need to do and how you need to do it.
- For the hearing impaired or for those who can’t watch the video at the moment, there are some easy steps for making a small fish trap to gather up some easy food:
- You’ll need a shovel to dig up worm bait.
- Use a plastic bottle and with either a saw, knife or rock-blade, cut up the bottle to create a fish trap. Once it’s cut up it’ll automatically be made into a fish trap.
- Place the worms inside the bottle by attaching the worms to the cut-up bottle in your inventory.
- Head to the beach and place the fish trap into the ocean water. This only works with salt water, so lakes and ponds are inefficient for this tactic.
- After you wait a while, head back and check on the fish trap. If the worms are gone then it means sardines are inside the cut up bottle.
- Place the sardines in a camp fire and use a blade to “prepare the fish”. Specifically you’ll need to prepare them for this to work.
- Once the sardines have been cooked you’ll need to use the knife to remove the guts and you should have a “fish steak”. Prepare it once more over the fire and you should have a hearty meal to go.
It’s suggested by Tngg101 to make a handful of fish traps, this way while you go off looting you’ll have five or six bottles worth of sardines by the time you return. It’s an inexhaustible resource for food supplies, so you don’t have to worry about limited resources if you end up on a full server.