Spring time is asparagus time. It´s the season of asparagus. Everywhere in the open markets and in the supermarkets, asparagus vegetables are on sale. Sometimes it´s only 4 Euro a kilo. The green one is cheaper than the white one.
Asparagus is commonly eaten with boiled or mashed potatoes and with sauce hollandaise here in Germany. I love this food but I don´t eat this vegetable in the same cooking method. For me it´s boring and so I tried my way in preparing this food. Besides that, it should not only be eaten with potatoes. Boiled rice will do as well.
Have you tried eating asparagus with rice? You might think asparagus and rice are not compatible to each other but they are. You can even mix this veggie with another veggie. What about Asian veggie? No? Oh yes! Asian veggie like Kangkong (water spinach) is a good partner of asparagus. Two super veggie together in a stirfry is delicious. Yum!!!
How come that I used these super vegetables in a recipe? Well, it was my way of not wasting any food. I was busy last weekend that I did not cook the Kangkong that I have bought in an Asian shop. I saw that my Kangkong would not stay long and then I have to throw it in the bin. The asparagus that I have bought last Friday was getting old as well. What a waste f I would have threwn those healthy vegetables. So, I made Kangkong and asparagus stir fry with bacon.
6 pieces of white asparagus
2 handfull of Kangkong leaves
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 small onion cubes
50 grams of sliced bacon
1 to 2 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 stalk of spring onion, sliced
vegetable oil for frying
white pepper to taste
chili powder (optional)
- Peel the skin of the asparagus and cut them slantly into small pieces. Wash them.
- Wash the Kangkong leaves.
- Heat the frying pan or wok and add oil in it.
- Saute the garlic, onion and bacon slices.
- When the bacon turn brown and the onions are glassy, add the asparagus.
- Stir fry until the asparagus are tender.
- Then add the Kangkong leaves and the spring onions.
- Stir the mixture until the Kangkong is done.
- Add soy sauce and white pepper powder. You can add chili powder if you want this food hot.
- Taste the stir fry veggies if they are okay and put the fire off.
- Serve with boiled rice and salad.
I hope you will like this food. Feel free to share this to your social media sites. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week to all.
Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved by ©Thelma Alberts