Anyone who knows me will tell you I treasure my sunscreen. It truly is the holy grail of my beauty skincare regime. I’d sooner give up a lot of items in my beauty stash before I gave up my sunscreen. I’m really about physical, zinc or natural sunscreen over chemical sunscreen, because it does a better job of protecting my skin, among other reasons. Physical sunscreen comes in two different types, powder and liquid, and I love both for different reasons.
So What Is Powder Sunscreen?
Quite simply, it’s sunscreen in powder form. They are made from highly refined minerals, the formulation of which offers very broad-spectrum protection from the much-publicized harmful effects of UV rays. The majority of powder sunscreens contain a high level of zinc, titanium dioxide and iron particles, which are widely used in regular sunscreens. All three ingredients work synergistically to block UV rays and keep your skin cool.
Powder sunscreen comes in both clear and tinted colours. I’m sure a lot of lady will agree that powder sunscreen is truly a God sent product, in that it enables us to touch up our sunscreen all through the day, without ever worrying about spoiling our makeup! What’s more, it’s fantastic because you can throw out those blotting papers and stick with the powder sunscreen, as it does a great job of mopping up those oily patches. I absolutely adore these sunscreens, but hate the fact that they can be hard to find and are understandably pricy.
What’s To Love?
Besides everything I’ve stated above, here’s why I love powder sunscreen. I’m sure everyone one else who’s unfamiliar with them, will love them just as much if not more!
- Because of the particle size, powder sunscreen will blend in with your facial oils, adhere to the skin and form the perfect barrier against UV rays. Be sure to wait until your other products are fully absorbed into your skin before applying.
- There’s no wait time between application and exposure to the sun, as soon as you’ve applied it, you’re good to go!
- Very clean, not at all mess compared to other sunscreen
- Can be applied as many times as you require through the day without messing up your makeup
- Easy to carry around as it’s portable and can slip very nicely into you handbag.
- Easy to apply as it usually comes with a neat brush applicator.
I just can’t get enough of powder sunscreen, and have already tried a few; Colorescience Sunforgettable SPF 50, Eminence Organic Sun Defense SPF30, Peter Thomas Roth Oily Problem Skin Instant Mineral SPF 30 and the Peter Thomas Roth Anti-aging Instant SPF 45; I can vouch for them all. I still apply liquid sunscreen at the start of the day and set it with the mineral version, re-applying through the day. I couldn’t tell you the last time I was sunburnt!