Have you ever thought about the thinks you really like in your life?
I never really stopped to think about it. I just finished reading a novel that is actually called Five Things I Can’t Live Without. It was about a woman who started writing online dating profiles for other people. One thing she always included were five things they can’t live without. Each person, surprisingly, had different things, unique to that person.
These five things were not thinks you LITERALLY can’t live without, like air and food and water. And not the obvious answers like, children and family. And I’m sure that most people have more than 5 things that they “can’t live without.
But, on to my list of Five Things I Can’t Live Without
1. Nature. I love the outdoors. I grew up in the countryside, and while my dad didn’t own a lot of property there was a trail in the woods behind my house. I spent a lot of time walking back there. I loved seeing deer and turtles. I loved hearing whippoorwills at night. Living in the city like I do now, there is less nature around me and it makes me sad. I still try to grow flowers every year, and I love sitting and watching the bats fly around at dusk. Animals and pets fit in here too. I like critters. If you’re furry and have 4 legs I’m gonna try to pet you.
2. The Internet. I’m sort of addicted to the internet, which is bad. But it is also my best way of communicating with my family and friends. Sometimes its the ONLY way. I suffer from social anxiety, and I’m so much more comfortable talking through text on a screen than through an actual phone call. And I’ve been able to make and keep friends from all over the world! I’ve learned so many things from tutorials on Youtube and other places. My life would be so much more dull without the internet!
3. Books. For as long as I have known how to read, I have LOVED reading. I like novels with suspense, like horror or mystery novels. Sometimes I’ll branch out a little and read something like Five Things I Can’t Live Without, but I’m not usually big on romantic novels in general. When I had more time I could read several novels in the persiod of a week. Now that I work full time and have a family, I can still read about 2 books a week, if they are good books. I LIVE for trips to the library, and am so happy that libraries exist because I can’t afford to feed my book habit. Of course I also download almost every free e-book I can find on Amazon. My Kindle is the best gift anyone ever gave me!) (If you like to read, but don’t have a kindle, you can Read eBooks using the FREE Kindle Reading App on Most Devices)
4. Creativity. Some of my most miserable moments come when I’ve gone a long time without being able to create something. I’ve been a writer for as long as I can remember, but I also love to do crafts. I would never call myself an artist, but I do love to play with paint. I like getting messy. I like getting colorful. Sadly, the way my life works right now leaves very little time for me to do creative things. After a long spell of doing nothing but work, sleep, work, sleep, I can find myself getting more and more depressed, and I know that I have to be creative somehow. Good thing that something as simple as sitting down and coloring a page in a coloring book counts as being creative, and I can feel my mood improve.
5. Solitude. Each day I read a point where I just CAN’T be around people anymore. I mentioned above that I have social anxiety, so you can only imagine how stressed out I am at the end of a work day when you consider that I work a retail job and I’m surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of strangers every day. Then I come home to be a wife and the mother of two small children who NEED me. I do have a limit. If I don’t get some time alone, then I turn into an evil person. I’ll be snarly and snappy and feel like I’m going crazy. I feel DRAINED by all the people who NEED me and take and take and take. So…I have to get some time alone. Some time for my emotional reserves to refill.
And there you go. 5 things I can’t live without. And if you enjoyed that list you might also enjoy my list of 5 Things that Make Me Happy (don’t be surprised if you see list crossovers!)
If you are intrigued by the book I keep mentioning it is available on Amazon as well! You can get it in eBook OR paperback!
Thank you for taking time to read my list? Now tell me,
What are the five things you can’t live without?
Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what kind of list YOU would like to see me write!