I really love trout, but only if it is cooked right. I have tried a lot of recipes that were not very good, but over the years I have tweaked a couple that are really delicious. One is baked in the oven and the other is cooked in a skillet. Both are great served with vegetables and rice or baby red potatoes and mushrooms.
Herb Baked Trout
- 2 onion, chopped small
- 2 celery stalks, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground tarragon
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 tablespoon melted real butter, divided 6 and 3 tbs
- 3 to 4 pounds of trout, descaled and filleted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small bowl, place, thyme, rosemary tarragon, celery, mushrooms and butter and stir till mixed.
- Take a 13 x 9 glass baking dish and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Pour half the mixture into the baking pan and spread to cover the whole bottom
- Place trout on top of mixure and sprinkle with garlic powder and Parmesan
- Spread the remaining butter mixture on top of the trout
- Bake 35-45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with the remaining melted butter
- Baste with remaining butter right before serving and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided 2 and 1 tbs
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 trout fillets
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter until browned and sizzling stops.
- Sprinkle almonds into butter and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
- Scrape almonds and butter into a small bowl and set aside
- Place 1 tablespoon butter, salt and pepper in the skillet and stir to mix.
- Add trout fillets with the skin side up and cook for 5 minutes, or until bottom is browned
- Flip the fillets and cook the other side for 2 minutes
- Brush fillets lightly with lemon juice and cook until fish is flakey (about 2 minutes)
- Place fillets on the serving platter
- Put the almond butter mixture back in the skillet and stir till hot, add green onions and stir for about 1 minute
- Remove from heat and spread almond mixture on the fillets
I hope you enjoy these recipes!