I love frittatas! They are so quick and easy to make, they are perfect when you are in a time crunch and you need something for any meal. Since they are made with eggs, you can have them for breakfast. You can also make them for lunch or dinner. They can be made for one, two, or more, all you have to do is adjust the amount of eggs and ingredients.
You can also make frittatas in almost any ethnicity. Add some salsa, rice and peppers and you have a Mexican frittata. Add tomatoes, basil, and Italian sausage and you have an Italian frittata. You can even add pork, soy sauce and Asian vegetables and have an Asian frittata.
Another great thing about frittatas is that you can make them meatless and they are just as delicious. My recipe below is meatless, but if you wanted to add meat, you could. Chopped ham or chicken would be delectable, as would crumbled bacon, or sausage. Frittatas can even be made with tofu which soaks up all the enticing tastes which makes it more flavorful than usual.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese, shredded fine
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped small
- 1 small red onion, chopped small
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Whisk eggs, Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese, basil and a dash of salt and pepper, and set aside
- In a skillet with a well fitting lid, saute the onion, pepper, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil for 8 minutes, or until softened
- Pour in the egg mixture and stir for one minute until eggs begin to thicken
- Cover the top of the eggs with cheese and put the lid on the skillet
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 15 minute. Do not remove the lid during this time!
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes
- Remove lid and put a plate upside down on the skillet and flip over so the frittata falls out on the plate
- Cut in wedges and serve hot
The next time you need a great meal, quick, you know what to do! Just look through your refrigerator and see what you have that goes well with eggs and make a frittata!
If you would like more amazing frittata recipes,
I highly recommend this book, it has some really awesome recipes in it.