I love Rice a Roni, but I can’t make it to save my life. Somehow it always comes out gluey, and awful. My husband can make it perfectly and he has even stood over me and directed me on how to make it……and it still comes out awful. It is one of the mysteries of life.
So my husband has to make it, when we have it. Works for me! Anyway, Rice a Roni is not overly expensive, you can still make it for a fraction of the price if you make it from scratch. Homemade Rice a Roni is so easy to make, it only has four ingredients. Once you have made it, you will never buy it again.
- 1/2 cup uncooked spaghetti, broken into little pieces (for gluten free, use brown rice pasta instead)
- 3/4 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken or beef or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place butter in a skillet over medium head and saute the uncooked spaghetti and rice until it is golden brown.
- Slowly add your broth, while stirring.
- After bringing the water and seasonings to a boil, bring the temperature down to low (LOW, not medium)
- When the boiling has stopped, stir and then cover tightly for at least 15 minutes (do not remove the lid, it lets the steam escape)
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and stir.
- Replace the lid and cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir; if the rice is done, then leave lid off and let stand for 5 full minutes.
- After 5 minutes, fluff with a fork and serve.
This recipe is the basic one. Personally I prefer to dress up my Rice a Roni by adding more ingredients.
I usually also add:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- chicken seasoning
Sometimes I make my homemade rice-a-roni into a skillet meal by adding chopped chicken, diced tomatoes, English peas and diced green or red peppers. Makes a great meal and the leftovers are even better for lunch!