Bible studies

Is prayer to God important?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

rextrulove

Do you think that it is important to pray to God one or more times each day? Why?

rextrulove

I don’t think this is a hard question, since the bible clearly says that we should pray. In fact, it is mentioned 42 times, but here are just a few scriptures about our prayers to God:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, Philippians 4:6-7, 1 John 5:14, Colossians 4:2

kimdalessandro
      Participant

@rextrulove – I pray daily, and I think that it’s very important. I mostly pray for the health and safety of my family and friends and others in need, but I also go to God with my fears and concerns for my own well-being. He’s always there for us.

Some people think that praying won’t make a difference because God already knows our needs. He has a plan. It’s true that He knows our needs, but I don’t believe in predestination. I believe that prayer can change the outcome of situations. We need to talk to God about our wishes, fears, and concerns. He knows what’s best for us, but He also wants us to be happy. He wants us to come to him. He tells us in the following Bible verses.

Matthew 11:28-29 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

It’s especially important that we pray for others who need God in their lives – those who have strayed away from the faith and those who are going through serious problems. Even if they won’t take our advice, we can pray that another person or event will inspire them in ways that will draw them to God.

Many times we don’t find out why things happen the way the do until months or years later. Some think that God didn’t hear them, but that isn’t the case. God knows the right time for everything. Later we have those ah-ha moments when we realize that God had our best interests in mind and knew what we really needed. They’re not mere coincidences either. They make us realize that God is watching out for us.

God’s voice is gentle and quiet, but we can hear Him if we’re listening. 🙂

rextrulove

I agree about the importance of prayer, @kimdalessandro. It is true that God knows our needs better than we even do and that He knows the desires of our hearts, but the bible makes it plain that we must ask.

As a father, I knew that my kids wanted to have a cookie any time they could have one. They didn’t need it, but they wanted it. Most of the time, the only way that they’d get it is to ask for it, even though I knew that desire of their hearts. Sometimes, the answer was also, “Not now, but after dinner you can have a cookie.” God functions the same way, so we must ask for our needs and wants, and sometimes the answer is “later”.

I also agree that we need to pray for others, too. That is especially for those who have lost their way. Naturally, we should pray for people who are having difficulties, but also for those who don’t know God. We are to approach everyone with love and understanding.

Romans 13:8-10 (NKJV) 8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,”[a] “You shall not covet,”[b] and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”[c] 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Thus, we do need to pray for others. We should also pray to give thanks and to praise God. When we do, we know that God is with us. The bible says that God inhabits our praises, so every time we lift His name in praise, God is there. This is a very interesting thought that many Christians don’t even think about.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.