We are goaded to start running and worrying as soon as we possibly can! We are set targets by our parents and peers. We have to measure up to expectations or live with a feeling of being losers in the game of life. Most have to work to earn a living and there is hardly any respite. It starts with schooling with an eye on a rewarding career. We hop across many a hurdle along the way, live and reminisce to tell the tale. That sums up our life and in a way of other species, our fellow travelers that also see the light under our nurturing sun.
Few are born with the proverbial silver spoon in their mouths. They get a head start in terms of comforts coming their way. But others can earn it by the sweat of their brow and even get ahead. That is the beauty of life – everyone is blessed to get due rewards but with the right attitude. Attitude decides our altitude, not in material terms, in the end. The reward and meaning we get from life is entirely up to us, within us. We can walk with a spring in our steps or at the other extreme wallow in self-pity. We choose to spread cheer or pall of gloom.
Ever Changing Realities
Those who accept the realities of the day are truly blessed. The whole creation, universe, even multi-verse, is in a state of flux. No moment repeats! That means reality changes in subtle ways and our lives too as they depend on it. Change is the only constant. We need to embrace the moments with humility and acceptance. That decides our state of mind. Even good old days can be replicated, made better, when we learn from our mistakes and adjust our outlook.
My further thoughts:
1. Life a blessing: The reason for our birth here is mystery, more so as a human being. But we feel we are the most blessed though that is a moot point! But we have the ability to make our lives a blessing not only for us but also to others with the right attitude and approach.
2. Learn from mistakes: History is replete with wisdom – how to live and not live! We have enough of history to avoid every mistake. And then the new discoveries through technology that have broken barriers that divided us in the past. The biggest of them – making it clear everyone yearns for peace and coexistence. All have same feeling, especially the majority poor, though manipulators hold sway over our destiny.
3. One world: Though we live in many countries, cultures, our lifestyles are merging with the craving for similar lifestyles, gadgets.
4. Technology a window to better world: News and views from around the world are available to all. We get the latest news, views and interviews from everywhere. So technology has broken hitherto ironclad barriers.
5. Awareness of needed actions: Every right thinking person is able to analyse and come to own conclusion for needed actions that suit his needs, strengths and limitations. So everyone can take charge of own lives without being at the mercy of others.
6. True meaning of Freedom and Democracy: We have seen the functioning of freedom and democracy. Despite their failings they have given us a life that is far removed from the tyrannical ways of the past. We should cherish the path that our forefathers guided us to take, improve on the workings and fine-tune them to plug the loopholes.
Our lives are far from perfect but we have come a long way from a dark past where few rode rough-shod over the vast majority with impunity. The vestiges of the past are still seen when some take advantage of others’ kindness and generosity and pursue selfish goals. They are the few bad apples that we have to watch out for in our on-going battle to keep our heads above water and maintain our vigil to prevent us from sliding into an abyss.
The Way to Go
We know where we stand more than at any time in the past. Individually we are up to date with the latest and also collectively. Our interests are same – so what are we waiting for to avoid past mistakes, shed burdensome baggage? We know the reality and also what to do to take the next step. We have to step out of the comfort zone that makes us repeat the same mistakes. We need to make sacrifices and thereby enjoy the rewards too by getting out of the rut. Our freedom and democracy have led us to a state of affairs where efficient functioning of government machinery is at stake. Our leaders can promise much but we put spokes in the wheel through checks and balances that choke initiatives to get things done. We need to get things going than lose ourselves in semantics. When the agenda is clear before elections and they are decided at the polls, why should there be any barriers later?
Individually too, we have to assess the realities as an on-going process. The change is becoming faster to such an extent we lose our footing on the basics. We just drift along. A herd instinct makes us lose our way. We have seen individual initiatives touch our lives positively more than leaders can hope for. After all, politicians have selfish motives. The reality is democracy and freedom is still exploited by few to make them work to their advantage. As we tussle with this reality we have to still make them work as alternatives look hazy at best. The human mind and its workings prove too complex to benefit humanity as a whole. We have to grapple with the challenges, trust one another with a grain of salt and get closer to understanding the ultimate reality that we swim or sink as one with each passing day. Cohesion and cooperation always prove a mirage – a reality that we have to accept unless a miracle is hiding around the corner. Then we are at the doors of the elusive heaven while still alive! That is what we have to aspire and work for – an abiding challenge and task for humanity to realize their full potential.