Writing Similar Content Question

Activity Forums Writing Content Writing Similar Content Question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Jessica
      Participant

I know that we are not allowed to plagiarize work, even from old websites that we’ve posted to unless the articles are de-indexed. What is BlogJob’s stance on writing about the same subject matter (intentionally or accidentally)? For example, today I wrote about my personal stance on religion and I used an example that I’ve mentioned in the status updates section and possibly in another blog post. The example was re-written for today’s post and was only part of my article. Is it okay for us to re-write the same content if it’s not copied and pasted and is used in a different context?

Karen Fainges
      Participant

You can definitely reference other posts.

As for rewriting content from a different perspective, there is nothing new under the sun, that’s what we are all doing. So long as you a giving the reader a fresh look at things, I say go for it.

priscillaking
      Participant

Well…I wrote a document about three species of caterpillars that can be confused by people who’ve only read about them in field guides, in 1988. Without looking at that document, I sold Associated Content four short articles, with all-new links to web sites, about four species of caterpillars in 2008. Without referring to those articles, I posted seven sponsored posts on the Blogspot about six species of caterpillars in 2013. I never really wanted to become known as a caterpillar expert, but I will say that, each time I wrote from scratch about what I know about confusible species, I’ve learned more about’em; I think each article is different from and better than the previous ones.

peachpurple
      Participant

it is ok to write the same title but 70% different contents. I think most site allows that

Jessica
      Participant

The 70% original content is new to me, but it seems fair. I actually like writing my own work and offering another perspective to everything that already exists. Sometimes though, I fall into the trap of writing a new post about the same subject I’ve already written about earlier. It’s especially easy to do this when I write for my Quotes For Release blog. Like Priscilla King said, however, you can always learn new stuff and share your progression of knowledge.

Citation is allowed but plagiarism isn’t.

rextrulove

My viewpoint is similar to that of @rusty2rusty. I often write about different aspects of the same thing; for instance growing tomatoes, which is an expertise. I might express the same opinions, usually in a slightly different way, and I may even use the same resources and citations, but each article is a little different in the focus and how I approach the topic. This makes every article about the same topic different. That is something search engines like and it establishes the writer as an expert, as far as they are concerned (and whether or not they are actually an expert).

angie10
      Participant

My understanding is that the material can’t be 100% like for like. I think as long as we all understand that and move to ensure we don’t simply scoop one article from somewhere and plonk it somewhere else exactly as it is, we should be fine.

rextrulove

If the Google bots see something that isn’t at least 70% original, they will see it as duplicate content, which can kill SEO. That is from a senior tech at Google as of October and it most likely hasn’t changed since then.

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

Me, I get ideas, as the ideas of some other blogs might be your ideas too. You agree to the thoughts. I read their ideas and I make my own ideas out of their ideas. As much as possible, I do not article spin, I just get the ideas alone.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.