What's your standpoint regarding the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Activity Forums General Discussion What's your standpoint regarding the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Gil Guerrero
      Participant

Well, just that. It’s kind of a controversial topic due to some say it’s really good because of what it supports and some others utter it to be not the way to promote help for this condition due to the lack of water in many places around the world.

In the end, in my opinion, it’s about knowing this, but most of all: Donating. If you don’t. Whether you dropped a big barrel of water on your head or posted it on Youtube and shared it through all your social networks, it will be pointless as well as meaningless.

What do you think?

jsnitz08
      Participant

Top reason why the challenge was successful: People want their 15 seconds of fame. Simple as that, plus they want to show their friends…hey look I’m donating.

Gil Guerrero
      Participant

Yeah, guess I think the same. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Pegasus
      Participant

My standpoint is exactly what you said.My friend filmed her children doing the challenge on their dead lawn – dead because we are in a drought right now. For me I just donate the money. I don’t need the “look at me look at me” part

Kimberly Brown
      Participant

I personally think it is a great idea for some to do but it is not for everyone in my opinion. Some people have health problems and will not take the challenge. I won’t do it but would donate for the cause as some would as well.

Gil Guerrero
      Participant

I agree with you Kim. The most important here is to donate whatever money you want, but donate. Thanks!

kendra
      Participant

Honestly, a lot of ways people have chose to “raise awareness” have not always settled easily with me due to some of these ways being… well, not a real way of spreading awareness, and I’ll admit, at first, I didn’t really see how an ice-water challenge could do anything for any kind of illness awareness, but once my dad was involved (and filmed with the news channel) in it, I seen the impact the whole thing is making, all over the world. Just the fact that people are getting involved to such an extent, I think is wonderful. As for dumping water on someone’s head… Well, I think it could be more fun that actually raising any long-term awareness, but I don’t know. I’m sure it will keep many of the people who have gotten involved plenty aware, and encourage them to spread the word.

jsnitz08
      Participant

If someone just “donated” and told their friends to donate, do you really think ALS would have raised $70 million in the last 2 months?!! The reason why this became some viral is because of the Videos!! Videos are Viral! This proves it! If the first person to create the challenge just posted on their wall “I donated $100 to ALS, I challenge my friends …. and ….. to do the same” it may have had some impact, but the impact would not be as grand!

SadieMarie
      Participant

I think it is ridiculous like using peer pressure to source you do do something. If I got it I would refuse.

Gil Guerrero
      Participant

I agree completely with you @sadiemarie. It’s a hard topic to me. ‘Cause I don’t really believe many of the people who appears in their videos have donated. I think they just see it as the new trend. Anyways, helping is good, but, I don’t really believe that “ice bucket so feel what is like to suffer ALS” thing.

Thank you all for your great feedback!

Amalthea Hustles
      Participant

Raising awareness is important. Period. The fact that there are so many people showing support for the suffers and family members of people with this disease, I think that says something. If this got 20 more people to actually donate to the cause of ALS research, I think it is worth it — would they have, otherwise?

“Likes” don’t save lives, action saves lives. This viral trend is actually managing to propel some people into action, so I’m in favor of it.

Granted, I do not think that just dumping ice water on yourself is anything like ALS.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.