What was the worst thing that happened to you as a child?

Activity Forums General Discussion What was the worst thing that happened to you as a child?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Kimberly Brown
      Participant

I went swimming and almost drown and my uncle jumped in with all of his clothes and wallet full of things to save me. I so thought I was going to die but after that I still swam in the pool. I think that also played a role in why I hate deep water but I can swim in deep pools now with no problems just not the ocean.

SadieMarie
      Participant

My Mom was emotionally abusive that was pretty bad.

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

I am sorry to hear that I went through emotional abuse as a child from my dad.

kendra
      Participant

Gosh, what terrible experiences! That swimming incident, Kimberly, sounds so scary! So sorry to hear these things happened to you two..

That’s awesome, though that you were strong enough to get back in the water at all! And that you were able to find the link between the incident and your being hate for deep waters is pretty smart.

I really can’t think about the worst experience I had as a child. I can think of the worst thing that I ever went through — a couple of traumatic things, actually — but those weren’t during my childhood. I think losing my niece at 19 days old (I was a kid in the 5th grade at the time) was the worst childhood experience.

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

I really do think losing someone is a very bad experience if you are a child. I am so sorry you had to go through that as a child. I lost many people as a child but do not remember to much because my parents hid things like that from us growing up.

Pegasus
      Participant

I have had many things that were terrible in my childhood, but I work through the residual anger over them by writing about them or putting that into my work. I was beaten a lot as a child. I’m sure I deserved plenty of it, but I couldn’t imagine doing that to my own children so as I reflect on that more and more I get sad.

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear that Pegasus. I was also hit as a child and never will my kids because I know it was wrong for me and would be so wrong for my kids.

gma2-3
      Participant

The worst things that happened to me as a child are: I lost my mom when I was 7 years old in a very traumatic car wreck in which my sister and I were also in! My grandpa (mom’s dad) passed away of a heart attack while we were at a family reunion about 2 years later. My dad was emotionally and physically abused by my dad after my mom’s death but my sister could and still does no wrong! It was hard growing up with him:(

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear all of these things you had to go through as a child. I so wish things could be different.

henry
      Participant

my immunization injection on the arm developed a wound that left a big scar when it healed after taking so long and the experience with flies

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

Wow I am so sorry to hear about that.

SadieMarie
      Participant

Too many things I had a pretty depressing childhood. For starters my Mom would make us clean for at least 6-7 hours per day.

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

Wow that must have been hard cleaning all day. I loved cleaning as a child.

SadieMarie
      Participant

I hated it @Kimberly_Brown my Mom was so anal everything had to be perfect. If you didn’t get things spotless she would yell at us and tell us how horrible we were. She would even make us sweep the carpets to get the vacuum marks out after vacuuming. This was the only way that we could prove that we loved or cared about her but when I would do extra chores on top of the insane amount I already had to do she thought that I was just doing it because I wanted something not because I was a super caring child. 🙁

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

I think it was really wrong. I do not think any child should have to work like that to prove anything. A child deserves so much more. You deserved so much more love than that. I do not feel that was love only hate.

SadieMarie
      Participant

I agree with you there. @Kimberly_Brown it was a horrible traumatic experience. My Moms still not the best but she’s mellowed out a great deal luckily. But we are still living with the damage trying to overcome it. It’s a shame that it took my older brother commuting suicide or so it seems almost a couple of years ago to really wake my Mom up to be more caring to some extent about her kids. I haven’t been able to forget but I have tried to forgive as much as I can and still talk to my Mom now and again. My sister refuses to have any kind of relationship with my parents.

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

I really do not blame her but it is always good to forgive but never forget. I hope you and your sister will be able to overcome this in life.

SadieMarie
      Participant

Thanks @Kimberly_Brown I’m trying go to a therapist sometimes and I look at the good it’s done me like because I had to emotionally parent my Mother I am now such a kind,caring, helpful person. Or because I had to pretty much care for myself in many aspects now I am so strong and independent.

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

That is so good of you to work through it. It does make you a stronger person in the end.

jkct01
      Participant

It was when we lost our pet cat. It just disappeared.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.