What is your reaction to the arrest of the clockmaking student in Texas?

Activity Forums General Discussion What is your reaction to the arrest of the clockmaking student in Texas?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

Young Ahmed Mohamed made a digital clock inside a pencil case. Keen to share his accomplishment and hoping to impress teachers at his new school, he took the clock to school to show it to them. The teachers reacted by having him arrested for making a hoax bomb.

What are your feelings on this incident involving a 14 year-old Texas student? Do you think there was reason for the teachers to be concerned, or was this a case of racial profiling?

Jessica
      Participant

I’m not impressed. I imagine he was so proud of his homemade clock and just wanted to show his teacher to show real-world applications of electrical knowledge. I get mistaking it for a bomb at first, but he should not have been arrested! Furthermore, the Texas mayor should issue an apology to him. Right now she says this boy’s arrest was okay because it could’ve been a threat. Ugh! I don’t know if it’s anti-Middle Eastern sentiment at play, but it’s wrong.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

@jessica I agree that there was reason at first to assess <b>whether</b> there was a threat. But any science teacher should have been able to determine that there was no explosive present, and that the item was simply a clock. In the absence of any hostility or other sign from the student, why would the very first reaction of a teacher be to assume it was a threat?

I think this incident points to some very serious issues in North American schools. We’ve heard of epileptic youth being tasered while in a post-ictal state, kindergarteners arrested for having a tantrum in class, and youth protection being called in because a high school student wrote a particularly creepy story after being assigned a horror-themed English composition.

When does it stop? Teachers are being asked to report everything, just to cover the school’s legal hiney. When they should be asking things like, “What prompted you to create this (clock, story, whatever)?” and engaging with students before drawing any conclusions, instead they’re reaching for the panic button.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.