What do sardines taste like to you?

Activity Forums General Discussion What do sardines taste like to you?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Anne Farmer
      Participant

I have been contemplating sardines because of their Omega 3 properties which I think will benefit my joints, not to mention other areas of my health that has been troublesome lately. I have never tried sardines though. Do you like them? Are they very fishy tasting because I won’t go there.

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

There are fishy taste and some are depends on the sauce. I even taste it on Century Tuna. I guess Salmon is what’s best for us sissy.

Anne Farmer
        Participant

I can’t even eat salmon too often either because of the fishiness, but did buy a few kinds of it in the store the other day. I have to try them, they are flavoured bbq and lemon pepper.

rextrulove

I occasionally eat sardines, but I’d much rather eat tuna. I also like sole, whitefish, and most seafood, though I’m not fond of smelt. Still, you did know that there are a number of plants that are high in Omega 3 fatty acids, right? For instance, cauliflower, chard, spinach and zucchini.

Anne Farmer
        Participant

I didn’t know there were those vegetables that are high in omega 3, thanks! I do love most of those veggies! Spinach I tend to avoid too, too much of because of some sort of oxalites or however it’s spelled.

rextrulove

@anne123farmer, do you have a history of kidney stones? If not, you probably don’t need to worry about the amount of Oxalic acid in spinach. Oxalic acid does slow down the absorption of calcium, but spinach is so high in calcium that it does a good job of canceling out the problem.

All members of the cabbage family; cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and kohlrabi, are high in Omega 3, and none of these are high oxalic acid plants. Cauliflower is highest in Omega 3.

Actually, most plants have lots of Omega 3, but most also have a lot of Omega 6, so I only mentioned those that have the best ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6.

Anne Farmer
        Participant

No @rextrulove I don’t but someone I know said something about those and I guess I should have asked her why she has to avoid Oxalites. Thank you for more suggestions on the plants, I love all of those mentioned and have even tried to grow kohlrabi before, until the ground hogs got to it.

rextrulove

@anne123farmer, that is one of the reasons so many people don’t eat a balanced diet; they take things overboard.Too much oxalic acid is harmful. That is the reason people shouldn’t eat rhubarb leaves, which have a very large amount of oxalic acid. However, unless a person is prone to kidney stones, most fruits and vegetables simply don’t contain enough to be a problem, unless you were to sit down and eat a few pounds of the fruits and veggies in one setting. Naturally, if you ate that much, the oxalic acid would be the least of your worries. 🙂

People do that will many things. Cutting down on fat intake is fine, but our bodies do need some fat. Most people in industrialized nations should lower their sodium intake, but it is vitally important that we have at least some sodium, particularly when we sweat a lot. A low carb diet helps some people but a no-carb diet could quickly put them in the hospital. One of the keys to a balanced meal is moderation.

Anne Farmer
        Participant

@rextrulove Yes I agree with the no carbs, I try to get some type of carbs into my diet now again. I was avoiding bread for awhile but still had other carbs to choose from. Thanks for the advice and info about the oxalites, I don’t feel bad now about eating spinach. I love spinach!

Nana
      Participant

I like the taste also salmon makreal

Anne Farmer
        Participant

@Nana Is there a special way you cook the sardines?

realityspeaks
      Participant

I like tinned sardines in a red sauce.

peachpurple
      Participant

canned sardines tasted raw to me, no wonder my cat loves canned sardines.

I prefer fresh sardines, deep fry them, crispy

Anne Farmer
        Participant

Do you bread them first before deep frying the sardines? Yes cats will eat any kind of fish like that.

blueberry
      Participant

For me sardines taste really good but it all depends on the brand. There are inexpensive and expensive brands that really differ in taste and the way how they’ve been process. I prefer those sardines sold a bit pricey as it contains natural oil coming from the sardines.

Anne Farmer
        Participant

I can imagine, there are some brands of everything that is better than the other. I feel the same way about cottage cheese, some of the brands for that are God awful.

Maricel
      Participant

obviously it has fish taste once in a while I cook sardines with my family that was the time when we don’t have money to buy expensive well it happens to us but we survives. Sardines is delicious if you will just experiment on how to cook it.

Anne Farmer
        Participant

How do I find the best recipe for it? Sigh…

Anne Farmer
      Participant

Thats okay. I didn’t know they went by a local name in other countries though. Something else to ponder, thanks! 🙂

rextrulove

@manasi, many people incorrectly refer to any small fish that is eaten as a sardine. However, real sardines are small fish that are called pilchards, which is a kind of herring. There are a number of species in several genera, so they are found nearly everywhere in the ocean, just as other herrings are.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

@JORDANA Thats what I was thinking too, like sushi. Raw fish doesn’t seem very appetizing to me.

rextrulove

@jordana, do you mean that sardines remind you of sashimi? Sashimi is raw meat, usually fish (though not necessarily fish). Sushi is a rice dish. Sushi is commonly served with sashimi.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.