What books have you read recently?

Activity Forums General Discussion What books have you read recently?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Danae
      Participant

What books have you read recently, and did you enjoy them?

Recently I’ve read Helter Skelter, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, and right now I’m reading Into Thin Air. Helter Skelter was very interesting to me – I don’t condone what Charles Manson did/does, but I find him extremely fascinating. It was an interesting book, and also a bit creepy… I avoided reading it at night :p Strayed was OK, I probably wouldn’t read it again – it’s about a woman coming to terms with loss and life as she hikes the PCT. Good read, but to me it actually dragged a bit, hmm. Into Thin Air is about the Mt. Everest disaster in 1996 – so far I really like it, it’s pretty intense!!

Pegasus
      Participant

Thanks for the recommendations. I have to be honest I have not read a book meant for an adult in awhile lol. I went from Fault in Our Stars to If I Stay (and the sequel). Currently I am just pages into Gone Girl, but considering not reading it til after the movie because I tend to hate a movie if I’ve read the book first and the movie looks decent.

Danae
        Participant

I haven’t read If I Stay yet, but isn’t there a movie coming out for that soon? I should check it out. I read Gone Girl recently! The characters frustrated me, but I think that was the author’s intent haha… I think…

Pegasus
        Participant

Yes there is a movie that’s coming out with that soon. Sometimes I like when my characters come off the page and reenact the book in front of me, but more often than not it makes me just a little crazy because I actually prefer reading a book after the movie. So if I read the book first and then the movie comes out, that probably sets the movie up for being a failure to me.

Jessica
      Participant

The last book I read was my English Language textbook. It’s called Introduction to the English Language and is written by Anne Curzan and a second author. While it was definitely not fun reading in the sense that I would’ve picked it out on my own, it was written in a conversational way using relatively current examples to make key points. I give the author two thumbs up for using academic terminology with modern examples because that did help me understand new concepts better. I love English but am not familiar with linguistics, which was the heavy focus of this class. So yes, I thought it was cool the way the textbook was written.

Danae
        Participant

Usually textbooks bore me but English is one of my favorite school subjects so I actually think I could find that book interesting 😉

Nicolee25
      Participant

50 shades of grey. Not big on the bad parts tho. I kind of just skipped over them.

Danae
        Participant

Bad parts as in cheesy parts or the super sexual scenes? I read the whole series, I was just curious to see what the hype was about. I don’t know if I’ll watch the movie in theaters :p

Nicolee25
        Participant

The sex parts. I’m going to go see it tho.

Danae
        Participant

I wish they chose a different guy to play Christian

Pegasus
        Participant

I got my hands on those books and I was so excited because I thought “Cool, maybe I’ll pick up a new trick or two” ha ha – so the sex stuff is so repetitive and so tame. I know it seems naughty, but really only the first time you read it and a lot of the stuff was stuff we kind of already do! So either we’re awesome or the book was super super tame.

Danae
        Participant

Yes, I thought the sex scenes were repetitive too. I don’t think those books are a good representation of the BDSM community. I’m not into that stuff but I know some friends who are. The rest of the series pretty much has the same scenes too.

moonphased
      Participant

I actually just started reading again, after being to busy with other stuff. Recently I’ve read ‘Salem’s Lot ny Stephen King – which is a pretty good book and I strongly recommend it – and now I’m working my way through The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes.

Danae
        Participant

Thanks for the recommendations!! I’ve been wanting to read more of Stephen King’s works!! I’ll look up The Shining Girls too

kendra
      Participant

Oooh! I loved Helter Skelter. If you haven’t already read it, you’ll probably enjoy the book by Marlin Marynik on Charles Manson, too. I loved it, but thought Helter Skelter was a tad bit more detailed. Anybody who’s interested in the Manson stuff will appreciate the book, but I forgot the name of it. Got it on my Kindle & it had photos too! Awesome stuff.

The book I’m currently reading is that darn “The Girl Who Played With Fire.” I picked it up when my neighbor sent a whole bunch of wonderful books to my house, and have felt both frustration and finally excitement while reading. It’s long, very, very different type of reading (the wording is not what I’m used to, perhaps because it’s not based in US). Now that I’m nearing the end, I’m getting a bit interested. Not sure I’ll read the others by this author though.

I’ve also been reading a little bit from a new LOA type of book (self help style) that I got for free on my Kindle. I’ve probably read 50 books on the subject (meditation, healing and energy work and LOA subjects) since early in the winter.

Before I started reading “The Girl Who Played With Fire,” I read one kick-butt book by Lisa Gardner (an absolute favorite author of mine) called dang it. I forgot! I always forget the titles once I’m done reading. But it was just fantastic! I have yet to read one of her books that I didn’t lose tons of sleep trying to finish. They’re great if you love thrillers (and an obviously intelligent writer for that matter).

Love this book topic! Now I’m thinking we need a group about reading/books. We could discuss what books we’re reading each week (or month, depending on how long we spend on one book). We could even recommend books we’ve loved to each other… I think I’m going to go search first & see if there’s a book group up and if not, I’m gonna have to make one! 🙂

Danae
        Participant

Kendra, definitely start a book group!! I would do it but this site doesn’t really work well on the old computers we have at work and I have to leave to go to an interview in a moment. And don’t forget to invite me to the book group 😉 I really love reading, it’s such a passion/hobby of mine and I could go ON AND ON about books 🙂

Thanks for your recommendations, I will definitely look out for the Charles Manson one especially because I may be able to go to the bookstore after my interview since the office is so near the mall! I finally also found a charger for my Kindle so I can finally start downloading books to it again :p Phew.

kendra
        Participant

Yippee! Then I will create the group right now 😉 This is exciting. Hope your interview went well & that’s great news you got a new Kindle charger! I don’t know what I’d do without mine now. I love that you can just download a book and read it right away. I have gotten to where I only get the free books now because wow that stuff can get expensive! Lol. Had to cut down my spending there. 😉 But there are some fantastic books available for free.

kendra
      Participant

Danae: I made the group! 🙂 It’s called “Book Club!” I have sent you, Pegasus and a few others that I thought might be interested invites. I think there is one or two people on this thread that I didn’t send one to yet. Had to come back here and see who all posted so I’d know who would be interested in joining. 😉

Danae
        Participant

Got it! 😀

Educateurself
      Participant

I’ve recently done Dr. erome Corsi’s book Why Israel Can’t Wait and it was quite informative to read. I’m also at the end of Outliers: The Story of Success, which is fascinating to read.

Danae
        Participant

I’ll check those books out! 😀

SadieMarie
      Participant

I’m currently reading feel good. It’s about how to overcome depression

Danae
        Participant

I saw that book when I was at Barnes and Noble the other day. Do you like it so far? 🙂

Pegasus
        Participant

What do you think of it so far? I haven’t read it, but I’m curious.

Pragati
      Participant

Recently I read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
      I love the character Howard Roark he is the kinda man I want to marry
      I think I am totally like Dominique Francon except I am not a rich kid lol

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.