Vaccine Controversy

Activity Forums General Discussion Vaccine Controversy

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

It’s recently been announced that there will be a movie adaptation of Andrew Wakefield’s book on his research into vaccines and autism.

I know a fair bit about the science and about how Wakefield conducted the research he published in the Lancet. So I’m curious about what others believe to be the truth.

Do you think vaccines cause autism? If so, why do you think this happens? Do you think Wakefield is wrong?

I’d love to hear about your experiences with both vaccines and autism!

rextrulove

I don’t think that nearly enough research has been done to say with any certainty. I do note, though, that virtually every time man starts getting convinced about his importance, knowledge and superiority, nature is there to knock him down a few rungs. 🙂

Andria Perry
      Participant

I don’t think all of them are good for babies. My mother would not let them give us any when I was a kid and I was forced when I was a teen to get a few shots, get them or no school, no school meant parents went to jail. I do not have that scar on my arm from the vaccine gun.

I do get the flu shot each year and I have to say that I HAVE NOT suffered with the flu in over 20 years except once when a new flu was going around.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Many people who were vaccinated don’t have the scar, because the gun was not used. In my generation, the scar was the sign you’d received the smallpox vaccine. I had the shot but my hubby is 4 years younger, and when he was little it was no longer given.

Super Spy
      Participant

Vaccines to me are useful for those who need them, but not everyone does. In the UK there are several that were compulsory as a child, and these days while they are recommended (and free) some parents opt not to give them to their children. It is a matter of taking a risk. My friend’s sister is disabled because their mother caught rubella when she was pregnant. Here in the UK, girls are given the vaccine as teenagers.

I have never had the flu jab, and probably never will because it’s a different type of jab. I’m not high risk, but the jab doesn’t mean you won’t get the virus, but it may provide some protection. For those who are in a high risk category, vaccines may save them, but it also depends on your lifestyle and where you live.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

We have an MMR booster shot here for youth. I think this is a good idea, particularly for those young people who might be sexually active.

I love that you mention herd immunity. Did you know that the flu shot isn’t terribly effective in elderly people, who are more at risk for complications when they get the flu. Interestingly, if school children get the flu jab, they may create enough herd immunity to help protect the elderly. That’s pretty cool!

Manuela Lopes
      Participant

Even though there are some controversy around vaccine, I think they save lives and I give it to my children.

priscillaking
      Participant

“Vaccines cause autism” annoys me because it’s the same kind of oversimplification as “Driving causes broken noses.” Vaccines *may* cause fevers, which *may* cause brain damage, which *may* cause or aggravate autism. Driving a car *may* lead to a crash, which *may* cause you to bump into the front of the car, which *may* cause a broken nose. The rate of correlation is high enough to suggest caution, but not to equal causation.

I think vaccines should be evaluated in best/worst terms. If I’m at high risk for a fatal disease, I want the vaccine. If the risk is low and/or the disease is mostly an inconvenience (as flu and measles are for most people), I *don’t* want the vaccine–it may be more dangerous than the disease.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

It’s interesting you should say the measles are simply annoying. It’s a pretty scary disease. Since most doctors have never seen it, they can have trouble diagnosing it. Some of the complications include pneumonia, bronchitis, brain damage and even death. These complications are more likely to occur in adults.

DW Davis
      Participant

I have heard a lot of studies have contradicted Wakefield’s findings but believe more work needs to be done. I don’t think their can be any doubt that some vaccines, Salk’s polio vaccine is a prime example, changed the world for the better. Others, like the chicken pox vaccine, seem of dubious use and most likely were created to satisfy the needs of both parents of most families to work full-time jobs with no time to spare to stay home with a child sick from the chicken pox.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

@dwdavis As a science teacher, you may be interested in the more detailed information about Wakefield’s study, which was severely flawed & carried out even after his ethics committee denied consent for him to continue. There were some serious breaches of medical ethics, and an undeclared conflict of interest.

One of the reasons behind the revocation of Wakefield’s medical license is the callous disregard he showed for the children he used as subjects. One autistic child was so badly injured as a result of a botched test, that he now requires round the clock medical care. In another really creepy move, Wakefield paid kids attending his child’s birthday party to give him blood samples to use for controls.

That’s just some of what I read when researching this man. There’s much more you could find…

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

As far as the chickenpox vaccine goes, my pediatrician led me to believe it was originally intended to protect adults who had not had the disease. It’s now given to children, yes. But the same vaccine in a larger dose is given to older adults, to help prevent shingles.

There is even some evidence that points to a possibility that chickenpox vaccines may help protect against herpes, which is pretty much rampant in the US population right now.

Most people take a very casual approach to chickenpox, but before vaccination in the US there were 100-150 deaths each year from complications of chicken pox. You can also get the so-called flesh-eating disease as a complication of chicken pox.

Nana
      Participant

I believe that they save lives and I gave to my kids and their parents did the same

nakitakona13
      Participant

I am really familiar with the vaccine that you are talking about. What I only know is that in every medicine or vaccine for that matter, there is always a reaction from the patient.

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

So sorry to hear that your daughter got sick! What vaccine was it? It sounds like maybe she caught the illness after receiving a live attenuated vaccine?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.