Suggestions of books about writing?

Activity Forums Writing Content Suggestions of books about writing?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  A. E. Rutherford 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

A. E. Rutherford
    Participant

For those looking for books to read that teach the fundamentals of storytelling, formatting, copyrighting, and/or publishing.

gajohnson
    Participant

Stephen King’s “On Writing” is one of my favorites, and not just because I’m a lifelong King reader and fan. He gives great tips and ideas in a very conversational tone. He’s practical and down-to-earth, and I love that style.

algedonics
    Participant

I adore “On Writing”, as well! It’s a fantastic read and really helped me get over one of my major blocks.

Also, you might want to check out Stephen Bonnycastle’s “In Search of Authority”. It’s not a book about writing, per se, but it’s an introduction to literary theory and it’s deeply fascinating. It goes through a lot of major schools of criticism and picks them apart for what’s more or less a basic college “lit 101” education contained in about 250 engaging pages. Really fantastic. I’ve been meaning to go and reread it, myself.

gajohnson
    Participant

I’ve been seriously considering screenwriting. I tend to be much better at dialogue than at all the setup and description, though.

A. E. Rutherford
      Participant

Give it a try! I strongly suggest Syd Field’s Screenplay. It was wonderful and extremely helpful!

A. E. Rutherford
    Participant

Okay, cool! That sounds really similar to Syd Field’s “Screenplay” which I had to read for my screenwriting class and I absolutely loved it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.