Saving Animals

Activity Forums General Discussion Saving Animals

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

rextrulove

Many people love animals, but fewer do much to help animals. What do you do, if anything, to help or save animals?

I’ve been a wildlife rehabilitator for 50 years now and have nursed many wild animals back to health. I’ve also adopted many strays and “throw-away” pets over the years. People might find it curious that I’m also a deer hunter and fisherman, but there isn’t a conflict.

What do you do to help or save animals?

angela
      Participant

That’s so wonderful! We always adopt our cats from the SPCA instead of buying from the pet store. All animals are special and they need to be treated with respect!

rextrulove

It is a great thing to get pets from the shelter. A lot of people don’t realize the wonderful and loving animals that can be found there.

Shane
      Participant

I bring them to vet clinic, but can’t bring my fierce dog right now while she is enduring the pain in her stomach after she was spayed. She may get angry and will bite me certainly. I would also build shelters for strayed dogs if only I’m wealthier.

rextrulove

Is that your own pets or strays, too?

Jeanette Hall
      Participant

Helped kittens get off to a fighting start when they were born on the farm where I grew up. They were not always smart enough to get out of the way of the farm machinery. Would have to help their mother relocate them to a safer warm spot out of the way of farm traffic. Had to help tame them so that they could be adopted by other people.

rextrulove

Jeanette, were the parents barn cats or strays?

priscillaking
      Participant

Well…my home is the Cat Sanctuary. That’s an online nickname, but we do rescue animals. The resident cats’ ancestors were rescued from an alley because they were social cats. As such, they’ve actually helped rescue and tame other homeless cats.

The cats have set the policy about dogs. Some years the dominant cats have actually helped stray or rejected dogs, but one of our queen cats was absolutely anti-dog!

rextrulove

I have to admit that we’re lucky. Our oldest cat, Garae, has always been accepting of any animal we bring into the house. She was a protector of 2 small squirrels I rescued and that could no longer be returned to the wild and her normal response to any new animals is to sniff, then give them a kiss. We also have 5 pet doves and Garae made it a point to let the other cats know that they weren’t to be touched.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.