Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one?

Activity Forums General Discussion Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Anbay Lia
      Participant

I’ve few times where a stranger helped with my situation and have had the opportunity to help stranger.

I would like hear any stories of others who have been in a situation where you have received a Random Act of Kindness from a stranger or help a stranger in return? What did they do? Did you do anything in return for them?

Kimberly Brown
      Participant

I have been helped before from strange people I did not know at the time. There are many people that are nice and are willing to help someone else. I have also helped a complete stranger before.

Payton
      Participant

I have helped a stranger before. I was walking home one day when I lived in California it was pouring outside and thankfully the shoes I was wearing was the same size as this guys.. he was homeless so I gave him my shoes and hoodie. All I could see on his face was a look of awe. I found out later his parents up and left him.. he had a full ride scholarship to play basketball but lost it..

Kimberly Brown
        Participant

Wow that is so sad. It amazes me how many people are homeless because of their parents. I personally was homeless once because of my parents. It filled me up with hate but I forgave them because god does not wan me to hate people.

Anbay Lia
        Participant

@Kimberly that is an amazing heart and characteristic you have for forgiving you parents despite the situation you were put into. It takes a lot of strength to do that.

Anbay Lia
        Participant

@Payton its sad to hear when people have to live in such a situation and have no support from family. Many people just walk away in that situation but I’m sure your made his day with your kindness.

writer
      Participant

I received a random act of kindness yesterday. I went to the grocery
      store and when I got to checkout I realized I had forgotten to put my
      wallet back in my purse so I said to the cashier,’Don’t even ring it up
      because I have to go back home, get my wallet and come back.’ Before I
      could leave, the woman behind me in line said,’Go on and ring it up,
      I’ll pay for it.’ All I could do was thank her and say ‘God bless you,’
      but it put a smile on my face and warmth in my heart. And yes, I have
      been able to do things for others too. Like buying two breakfasts at
      McDonald’s or Burger King and giving one to the first homeless person
      that asked for a quarter.

Anbay Lia
        Participant

I’ve seen on several occasions people helping others out with extra change but never paying for everything for a stranger. That was really nice of the stranger and also of you to give to others as well especially to the homeless.

Pragati
      Participant

I was once very depressed and had cried the whole morning. If you ask me the reason, I will tell you that I my boyfriend had given me a strong drink and I felt pressurized to drink it. It was whiskey mixed with coke and we were having a night out at a friends place. I never drank before and whatever they call Hangover was pretty depressing for me mostly because I was hurt that he forced me.

That same day it rained a lot. And when I was walking home from the bus stop, I saw an old lady standing under a shed (of a closed Stage where people can give talks) she looked lost and sad, and I was in tears myself too. I don’t know what came into me, I offered to drop her wherever she lived. She refused couple of times and finally came under my umbrella.

As we started walking, she started weeping and within no time burst into tears. She started tell me how her husband recently died of cancer, and that she never had to work before, and that now she was to raise the kids and she has found a job. She was very poor and sad.

After walking 5 minutes, we came to a crossing and she asked me to leave her here as it is not a good area for a girl like me. I told her its okay I will drop her till her doorstep. But she begged me to leave, she showed me a door which was open and said she lived right there and that its okay if I go. listened to her and went back home.

This one incident keeps coming back to me time and time again. It was very touching for me, the small interaction I had with her. I could feel her panic of leaving home to get a job, and the problems she faced after suddenly losing her husband. It also grounds me, reminds me that Tragedy can come to anybody without notice. I still sometimes think of her and pray that she is doing okay.

Though she lived in the same corner of the town where I did, I never saw her again.

Anbay Lia
        Participant

Pragati sorry to hear that you felt pressure to drink hope that you never find yourself in such a situation. That is very kind and sweet of you to accompany the lady even though you had your own problems. Sometimes we just needs some to listen to us. It’s amazing how a stranger can sometimes impact our lives even if see them once.

Pragati
      Participant

I also once had an incident when some did a random act of kindness for me. I was a kid when I started breeding this fantasy of living somewhere far away, in a foreign land, where everyone speaks a language I don’t know, where the culture, the people everything is New, and strange and different from where I grew up.

When I was in High School one of my teachers suggested my name to an organisation called AFS, they conduct Cultural Exchange programs all over the world. The interview was 4 days after my 17 th birthday, and though I could not afford to pay the fare I still wanted to give it a try.

The results came in and I was one of the 43 students selected from all over India, it was a semi-scholarship so we still had to pay a small sum to the organisation. But something really bad happened in my family and my Father and his sister (2 main decision makers in the house) denied any support and said “You can’t go and thats final!”

It broke my heart, though my mom secretly told me that she will try to find a way out. She managed to get some money to shop and we were out shopping for Japanese Winters (as I live in hot country I didnt have any winter wear) The chapter president of Mumbai called asking whether I received my passport (Yes, it was the first time I applied for passport) I spoke to her and she wanted to talk to my mother.

My mother explained to her about the situation my Dad and my Aunt had put me in. And Guess what ? The Chapter President offered me full sponsorship, plus also reimbursement of Visa and Shopping.

Anbay Lia
        Participant

You have an awesome mother supporting you. Glad you were able to participate in the Cultural Exchange program.

Pegasus
      Participant

I love to commit random acts of kindness! We have done so many, some in the honor of a friend’s passed on son, some to celebrate our birthdays, some just because. One particularly special one was that a friend and I were having tea in a tea and ice cream shop and we saw an adorable old couple come in and get 2 of the biggest sundaes ever, with the works. They touched our hearts because they were just so enjoying one another’s company and the sundaes and so we asked the waitress if we could pay for their order. We wanted to be anonymous though because we like to just watch the reactions without having to be known. So anyway, they go up to pay and the lady tells them its been covered and they were so grateful and said it was their 50th ANNIVERSARY and that was all they wanted to do that day was come have ice cream together. They said that made it so much more special.

Anbay Lia
        Participant

That’s an amazing story. I have to agree that helping people anonymously is the best along with their reactions.

Angel
      Participant

I was in Key Club in high school and we helped a lot of people in our activities. We started a library reading group and read books and had crafts every other Saturday. We had a pretty good turn out of kids each time and they always left with the craft they made.

We’ve also helped at hospitals and donated lots of money to different organizations. I’m glad to have been given the opportunity to be in the club or else I wouldn’t had been able to help so many people.

Anbay Lia
        Participant

@Angel Sorry for late reply have not been on here for over a year. I’m sure the people you met and helped during your volunteer also appreciated it.

SadieMarie
      Participant

I help people all the time. Random people come to me for advice and to share there problems. It’s like I have an invisible sign that says I’m understanding & can help. I love helping others it brings me great joy. 🙂

Anbay Lia
        Participant

@SadieMarie That’s a special trait to have and a very honorable one too. You are very lucky to have people that have trust in you to solve their problems. I’m glad you enjoying it and I’m sure the people you are helping see that as well.

irenen1
      Participant

I look at Random Acts of Kindness as a Pay It Forward. When complete strangers can see you need help and do help before family and so-called friends, and won’t accept payback, Paying It Forward is the way to go.

I always have a pocket of loose change to offer in a checkout line or for a parking meter. When I have extra cash I stock up on $5, $10 gift cards to local establishments.

When the holidays are near, I’ve been known to pass out grocery store gift cards to those families whose pride have kept them from visiting the food bank until the last minute. The hams and turkeys are long gone.
      Q

Anbay Lia
        Participant

@irenen1 That is very kind of you to understand and recognize those that need help. I really love your idea of getting gift cards to grocery stores for others.

I had given some money to a stranger a year back. In return, I got his blessings.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.