Loading Photo Problem

Activity Forums General Discussion Loading Photo Problem

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rextrulove 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Andria Perry
    Participant

Since June 1st. I have had the problem of adding new photo`s. I get a statement that reads ” you have exceeded your limit” So I would like to ask @Sheridan or @rextrulove , should I delete the photos in my media library so that I can ad more, Or is this just a glitch?

rextrulove

@andriaperry, I suspect that this is a reference to the amount of memory your pictures are taking up. Graphics always take up a lot more room than text and they can fill a server fast. I don’t know for sure if this is the case, but it would make sense, and I think that I’d try removing a half dozen of the oldest pictures that you have, then see if you can add a picture.

It is because of the file size that I use a free image editor (Faststone Image Viewer) to resize all the pictures I use and to save them at a lower resolution. Doing this makes the file size a lot smaller.

Andria Perry
      Participant

I am going to delete most of the old ones. Mostly I use photos with the off the grid blog to show how the plants are growing

gina145
      Participant

@andriaperry Let us know whether that helps.

Unfortunately deleting those photos will probably ruin the posts. I certainly can’t do that with mine, so if it comes down to that I might have to move my bonsai blog elsewhere… and I really don’t want to do that.

rextrulove

@andriaperry and @gina145, I’m thinking that this would only be temporary. I don’t know what the size restraint on the individual media libraries would be, nor do I currently know how large the server is, but there are ways to work around issues revolving around the space taken up with images (for instance, they can be housed on separate storage, though the downside is that they would take just a little longer to load).

For right now, resizing the images and saving them at a lower resolution is probably the best thing we can do. Especially if we take the images ourselves, they will tend to have a large file size if they aren’t saved at a lower resolution.

I’ll see about writing a post about how to use FastStone. It is really easy to use for photo editing, but I’ll just focus on changing the size and resolution. A person doesn’t need to be a tech with an advanced degree in computer science to use this program. Anyone can use it pretty simply. I’ll try to make this more of a tutorial than anything else.

rextrulove

Here is the article about FastStone that I promised to write:

rextrulove

Okay, the link didn’t post. It is on my Insight blog.

Andria Perry
      Participant

A couple of days ago I deleted some older pics I wont use anymore and now I CAN upload new one pictures! YAY!

rextrulove

@andriaperry, thanks for the update. That tells me that space probably was the issue. It would be a good idea to use an image editor to reduce the file size of the images. It is in your best interest anyway, since the pages will also load faster for your readers.

gina145
    Participant

@rextrulove If that’s the case I’m going to have a problem continuing my bonsai blog because it’s highly dependent on using a lot of photos. I always resize them, but collectively they still take a lot of space.

rextrulove

@gina145, as I said, I don’t know for sure if this is the case. If Andria removes a half dozen and then finds that she can again upload pictures, that would be an indicator. It is a good idea to resize them, though, as you are doing. I actually resize them for two reasons. The first is the file size and the second is the picture size. The page loads faster if it uses images that are 640 pixels or less, and it helps for viewing the page if a person is using a cell phone.

gina145
      Participant

@rextrulove I can think of at least one other reason – with plagiarism rife online, it’s best not to publish large versions of photos that somebody else might want to steal.

rextrulove

@gina145, for the most part, that one wouldn’t apply to me. About half of the pictures I use come from Pixabay. Of those that I take, most of them are free use or public domain. 🙂

suni51
      Participant

I always use self taken resized photos in MS Office Picture manager that does a wonderful job for my posts.

rextrulove

@suni51, you should give FastStone a try. It is a much more powerful image editor than MS picture manager and it is really simple to use.

Andria Perry
    Participant

I will try all this as soon as I write my next blog, I am working on new photos now since I only use my own.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.