How do you get gigs?

Activity Forums Writing Content How do you get gigs?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Stephanie C 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

90skids
    Participant

What’s the best way to get jobs on here? What do you write in job proposals to get the job?

laurie1979
    Participant

It all depends on what the job description says what you got to do to apply for it. If you don’t follow it to a “T,” More than likely would dump your items away because you didn’t follow the direction. That’s one of the recruiters pet peeve.

laurie1979
    Participant

I just secure a writing client that I talked to last night. I saw his ad on Craigslist and the funny thing was, at the time, he posted it up like 2 hours ago. Once I sent off what he needed from me, he responded back to me real fast. I was surprised but happy. Some time today, I’ll get the rest of the infos.

Amalthea Hustles
    Participant

Laurie’s right. Being able to follow basic directions is probably the most important thing about getting responses back. It’s the easiest way for an employer to filter you out.

I once failed to get a job because I left the “objective” section from an older application on my resume. I ended up fixing it and resubmitting it to one of their competitors, and I got better pay. So, it’s not all that bad…

Educateurself
    Participant

If you feel you can do that job then contact him right away and tell him how and why you want to do that job. If he agrees then everything else will be set after. But when he give a complete info try to ask him if you have confusions as if anything went wrong the client client will held you responsible.

laurie1979
    Participant

@amalthea_hustles Awww. One door closes and another door opened for you. 🙂
    At first, it may seem like that opportunity was a good one til something even better comes along. In your case, your resume did it. It’s funny how life sometimes work in mysterious ways. 🙂

kendra
    Participant

Here? What do you mean? BlogJob has jobs? I mean, other than obviously your points-earnings? I missed something didn’t I?

Or do you mean gigs in general? Yikes. Tough one because as an author who’s been at it for the last 4 years, I have to say it’s not all about following directions. Different jobs require a huge variety of different things, and in my experience (with hundreds of opportunities and gigs, so far) it’s all been about experience. I can only think of ONE job I’ve gotten that wasn’t based off my experience and credentials. IMO, in the writing world — depending on what type, obviously — it’s about building yourself up, slowly. For example, I started out being published for no pay, just for exposure on various short-story websites, and ran my own blog for the last 4 years. I’d say, my blogging experience is what’s helped me land many of the jobs I’ve had. Crazy, huh?

I suppose it’s different in other genres, like erotica or if you only do short stories. When I was taking my writing classes, my instructor required me to use a site called DuoTrope, which always updated lists of any published they could find, according to genre and you could just visit the magazines and sites looking for writers via that site. It was nice, until they began requiring you to pay just to see their list. I said screw that! PS. Some of those magazines also required a fee just to submit, and I’ve been taught that a writer NEVER pays to submit their work. We are paid for our work.

Anyways, that was my start. Then, I branched out and with enough blogging experience, people started hiring me. I went through a lot of scams, too, though. For example, one blog hired me and used my pieces but did not pay. Others promise payment after you submit and never pay you or get back in touch. It’s a tough game, but you keep going and forget the ones who don’t want your amazing talents and you absolutely will get somewhere.

To apply for gigs, though, I’ve used other sites like Craigslist, too. I’ve also tried keeping a good circle of publishers on in my sights & getting in touch with them. If there’s a website I frequent, I’ll send an email asking if they’re hiring for writers or editors and I’m sure to include my experience, background and skills. I’ve gotten a lot of responses this way, and have noticed that many of given me a chance due to my enthusiasm when they weren’t actually hiring! So, do sound passionate and enthusiastic and like you would have something to offer the company or website. Seriously, if you can show that you’ll be dedicated to a company’s name or brand and really want to be part of their team, they take notice more.

Anytime I come across a lot of errors in articles of websites I frequent, I send a kind email letting them know I would be glad to sign on as an editor (or writer) if they can work something out. A good quality company/site wants to know when their work is filled with errors because it tends to make readers less trustworthy of what they have to say.

Okay, now to get “experience,” aside from blogging, I’ve used free submission sites like Ezine and many others. There’s one called Triond. No pay for these, but it allows you to have something in your “sample work” because they always ask for links to your previously published work, and I’ve found that makes a world of difference if you have been published on a nice variety of topics rather than one.

There’s also Angie’s Diary. LOVE that place! I was invited by Angie to write for their weekly column (yes, I’m still overly excited about that one). How? All because I’d been published there several times and my articles had a lot of views. Always promote your work! On you FB, blogs, etc. The more readers you can bring to a site, the more exposure you get them and the more they want to hire you for a job. PS. It’s no pay, though.

Oh, and New For Shoppers has been looking for journalist-type writers for months now! I wrote for them, but since I was the only writer who can’t get an Adsense account, I could not earn revenue, so I don’t really write there. The owner is great and really helpful and will do everything to help get your work exposure. So, if you have an Adsense account, you have the potential to earn by writing for them.

Sorry for such a lengthy message. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. I’ll rack my brain some more for other gigs I can think of that are hiring for writers.

On the other hand, if you’re interested in just any online work, then you’ll definitely want to check out a thread here posted in another category. Forgot the name, but I’ll go find the link really quick. https://blogjob.com/forums/topic/what-other-sites-do-you-guys-use-to-make-money/

It’s where a few of us have been posting ALL the online places you can get paid to work for. There are some pretty great opportunities to earn listed there. ClickWorker is one, but it’s not writing. It’s like the MTurk (by Amazon) where you take an English test and then are able to earn like 0.03 cents per Google search. You just follow instructions to type in specific words in Google and then give the job poster a link and you’re paid 0.03 cents. When I worked as an MTurker for Amazon, I ended up earning a couple hundred on jobs like this, but I hope ClickWorker allows better opportunities for pay as you go or else you won’t quite earn as much. Either way, worth it if you don’t mind spending some time.

Okay I’ll shut up. But I’ll post more writing gigs as they come to mind, if you like?

kendra
    Participant

Hey, 90’s kids I wasn’t sure if it’d be of any interest, or what type of writing you are into doing, but I went back and looked over some of the places I’ve recently sent out applications to (for writing jobs). I checked to see if any of those places are still hiring writers at this moment and here are a few that are:

Conservative Tribune is looking for a writer on their regular topics (Libertarian political views). If you are interested in that type of category.

Fatal Dose, a men’s magazine was hiring last week for a freelance writer.

HubPages is always “hiring.” So are a few more, that are always allowing writers to submit work at any time. There’s also eCom Engine

The Unprofessional Football League
    is looking for a satire sports writer.

Voodoo Entertainment is looking for a “Bollywood Blogger.”

Can’t forget guest blogging gigs! Are you interested? I have a list of sites and blogs who are always open for guest posting. Some pay per word, some pay per views and others can only give you exposure, which is the most important thing when it comes to getting your name out there and gaining previous work links for better hiring jobs (when you apply for them.) I didn’t want to further overwhelm your, or anybody on this thread by posting huge lists if they aren’t of any use, or if you are not interested in that type of work. I’ll post my list I’ve gathered if you do want it.

I found some of these jobs listed on Snap Income.

laurie1979
    Participant

There are different ways to find some online work. For example, you should look into work at home sites from people that update their site on a consistent basis. You can sometimes find writing work on there from people who offers free job listings for people that are looking for one. It never hurt to use some of them if you’re subscribing to them. I do writing, blogging and review work so I use those sites very often.
    Since I do freelance work, I go on those sites every single week. As for doing promotions, I check up on some of the Facebook groups that cater to my promo gigs.

Simplyhired.com is a good site to use but only if you live in the US. I would sometimes use it to search for promotional work in conjunction to Facebook and Craigslist.

Brooke
    Participant

I agree being able to follow directions is important. It’s also important to show you are qualified if you are in fact. Even if you are not qualified, try to show passion. Try to show you are interested. Try to show you are the best candidate for the gig.

90skids
    Participant

thanks for all the input. It’s hard because I’ve used Elance in the past but all of their gigs are at rock-bottom prices. They want you to write an 80,000 word novel for $50!?

laurie1979
    Participant

90skids, that’s horrible!!!
    I shy away from bidding sites like that which is why I don’t go on there. I read that there are those gigs that are worth doing because the clients are willing to pay more if they want someone who can offer a higher quality of writing work or any other freelance gigs done at home. Glad to help. 🙂

Participant

I usually google ‘writing jobs’ ‘blogging jobs’ when I need it. After that, I try to be impressive 🙂

Stephanie C
    Participant

I try to avoid the sites that make you apply or “bid” for a job. You’ll spend a lot of time not earning anything. Try applying to BlogMutt. They always have work available, and there isn’t any competition.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.