How and how often do you proofread?

Activity Forums Writing Content How and how often do you proofread?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  rextrulove 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

rextrulove

Do you proofread what you post in blogs before you post it? How many times do you proofread? Do you have a favorite proofreading method (reading from the end to the beginning, walking away and coming back to proofread later, etc)?

spark187
    Participant

I proof it after I write and then go over it a second time.

dawnwriter
    Participant

I learned this method during my Helium days.

Write an article and then leave it for some time. Read it aloud to see if it flows smoothly and check for errors and then submit.

I am always amazed how many errors I make in first draft but this is because at first I just want to put the ideas on paper.

spark187
      Participant

In first drafts we are just getting our ideas down. Draft 2 is for fleshing out and smoothing out the ruff edges. Draft 3 is for bringing it as close to prefect as possible.

rextrulove

Indeed, @dawnwriter. Our minds also know what we meant to say, so our eyes can skip over errors. Reading it out loud slows down the mind and uses a different part of the brain, so errors can become a lot more apparent, too.

angie10
      Participant

@dawnwriter….I’ve never thought to read my work out loud, but it sure makes sense. I’m going to try that one, for sure. Thanks for the tip 🙂

thisnthat
    Participant

When I’m working on big writing projects, I like to walk away and come back later. Most of the time, for shorter pieces (like blog posts) I find that simply reading aloud a couple times will do the trick. You’ll see things you missed, and if you find yourself pausing too much or having an awkward time with a particular line, you’ll know some things need to be changed.

angie10
      Participant

That’s interesting that you do that, too @thisnthat. It clearly must work, because more than one person here says they do it. You’ll probably find it works for a lot of other people too. It’s definitely something I’ll be giving a shot,for sure 🙂

angie10
    Participant

I always proof read my work! I like to write the first draft and proof it. I then let it ‘marinade’ for a couple of days before I proof and tweak it maybe another two times. But sometimes when I read my work back, there are mistakes that have still made their way through….grrr!!

gina145
    Participant

Once I’ve written a post I like to get it published as soon as possible so that I can turn my mind to other things, but I never publish anything (including a comment like this one) without some proofreading. When it comes to blog posts, however, I tend to check over and over again, and I won’t publish a post until I’ve managed to read through the entire thing without finding something I want to change.

blueberry
    Participant

Most of the time I proofread every blog post. But sometimes once I published it there are still some typos so that leaves me for like 3 edits/revisions.

Grecy Garcia
    Participant

I uploaded Grammarly, it is the one checking my posts. I always edit my post before posting it and sometimes I apply what I learned with Grammarly that my posts has a little fixing.

MissyWeng
    Participant

Yes. I often proofread everything I published.

shaloowalia
    Participant

only once

Lakeyia
    Participant

I always try to proofread during and after I am done writing. I write novels and when I need to proofread those I do it myself and then I get another set of eyes to go through it for me. My husband loves reading my books, so I am always asking him to read and check my work.

Anne Farmer
    Participant

I do it maybe twice. My vision is bad so I make a lot of typos even after a few times of proofreading.

angie10
      Participant

@Anne Farmer….I have 20/20 vision, yet I still find that sometimes when I read some of my posts back, I still have a few typos….so what’s MY excuse LOL?!

rextrulove

The answer is actually simpler than you might think, @angie10. When we write something and read it back silently, our brain ‘knows’ what we meant, so it can miss typos. That is why it can be helpful to read it back out loud, since when reading it out loud, we are using a section of our brain that is literal and not intuitional.

angie10
      Participant

That does make sense @rextrulove, and definitely something I’ll be trying out! Thanks so much for your input 🙂

rextrulove

It does feel a little strange at first, @angie10, but it doesn’t take long to get used to it.

angie10
      Participant

@rextrulove….but it’s for a good purpose, so I’d rather endure that and laugh at myself for those few minutes I’m doing it LOL

Nana
    Participant

I’m going to start by reading out loud from now on

kimdalessandro
    Participant

I also use Grammarly @grecy095, and I read my work out loud, but I must admit that I get in a hurry sometimes and post before thoroughly going over what I’ve written. Reading out loud is the best way to find mistakes @rextrulove. 🙂 I almost always find something wrong when I read my work out loud.

rextrulove

@kimdalessandro, I agree. Another good technique is to read from the bottom to the top, one sentence at the time. It forces the mind to slow down and look at what is written.

angie10
      Participant

Ah, another good tip I’d never have considered! thanks for sharing @rextrulove 🙂

angie10
      Participant

@kimdalessandro….I’ve used Grammarly before, but not as regularly as I could.

Grecy Garcia
    Participant

I proofread it always before posting. I used Grammarly and it really checks the grammar mistakes, it gives recommendation or it gives the right grammar to use. I just click it before clicking submit.

angie10
      Participant

@sis Grecy….for some reason, I always forget about Grammarly! But i do like it and have used it in the past.

luciaanna
    Participant

Yes, I always proofread what I post in blogs before I post it. I usually proofread once @rextrulove

Kyla Matton Osborne
    Participant

I write most of my posts offline, which gives me the opportunity to double check not just the body text but also things like tags, titles, image credits, etc. Most posts just get a single read through upon completion, as well as a preview to check formatting. But if it’s a longer or more complex piece, or I’ve done a lot of editing, it may get proofread several times throughout the process. And for more serious work, I do sometimes ask hubby to proofread as well.

Rex, you are to be thanked for all the work you’ve done to encourage quality of content (proofreading, SEO, etc.) in the social writing/blogging community. I’m sure a lot of writers have learned from you.

rextrulove

Thank you for the compliment, @ruby3881! I’m thankful if the information helps anyone. A little encouragement also never hurts. 😀

Shavkat
    Participant

I only proofread once before posting it. I haven’t seen any sites that can do proofreading function. Do you use any of this application?

Heart
    Participant

I write a draft leave it then come back again read it again out loud.

Super Spy
    Participant

I constantly proofread, then edit. I leave things for a while and then go back to it. With longer pieces I usually leave it for a few days or a week before I go back and proofread, because it’s too fresh in the mind.

rextrulove

@barbrad, Eye no watt ewe men! tankfullie, I dun mak misteaks lyke thet. Knot neber!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.