Help?! How do you relieve a head cold?

Activity Forums General Discussion Help?! How do you relieve a head cold?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Andria Perry
      Participant

My nose is so runny I cannot breathe out of it, the over the counter medication is not working. Anyone know anything natural to help?

rextrulove

Mint and eucalyptus, @andriaperry. The eucalyptus is to breathe, and the mint in a hot tea, as strong as you can take it. Mint contains menthol, which will help relieve congestion from the inside while the eucalyptus works from the outside. Also, and this is going to sound really strange, put Vick’s vapor rub on the soles of your feet, then put on a pair of socks and go to bed. It will honestly help.

Andria Perry
        Participant

Just the regular yard mint that we grow? I don’t have any Vicks but momma used that on us, I will get some.

rextrulove

Yes, regular mint. If it is fresh, so much the better. Mint extract will work, though. By the way, you can make your own Vick’s and make it as strong as you want it, by getting some petroleum jelly and eucalyptus essential oil, then mixing the two together. Eucalyptus is the active ingredient. You may smell like a Koala for a while, though. LOL

Andria Perry
        Participant

This I need to make!

angie10
        Participant

@Andria…it looks like Vick’s vapour rub can be found anywhere you are in the world! I hope you find something to help you.

TAlberts
        Participant

You got your answer @andriaperry. I have done what @rextrulove adviced you. It really worked and I do that every time I have colds.

Andria Perry
        Participant

I am about to make me a hot tea, with fresh mint, thanks.

angie10
        Participant

Very good advise, @rextrulove. Gosh, I hate being down with a cold. It really takes it out of me.

realityspeaks
      Participant

Boil a little water in a vessel. Add a little Vicks Vaporub and inhale. Also a hot cup of ginger tea will help if you have a sore throat. If you have a sore throat, do not forget to salt water gargle.

Andria Perry
        Participant

I do have a humidify but no Vick`s 🙁

deepam
      Participant

you can get nasal drops, do try it or inhale steam from boiling water

Andria Perry
        Participant

I may try the breathing steam but its so stopped up nothing is going in.

Nana
      Participant

Steam while shower and peppermint nasal drops hot tea with cinnamon and honey

Andria Perry
        Participant

Hot tea sounds so good right about now, my throat is sore from being a mouth breather .

Anne Farmer
      Participant

Some people swear by those nettie pots but never tried them. The water has to be sterile I think before you use it because it can result in infection or something like that. I am going with the use of steam and lemon/ginger teas.

Andria Perry
        Participant

I don’t think I would use the snorting of water, LOL, anyways I am so clogged nothing would go up anyways.

Andria Perry
      Participant

Thank you all for the suggestions and I will try each, Then I can tell you what worked. I kind of feel like a lab rat 🙂 A snot head lab rat.

angie10
        Participant

Aww at least you still have your sense of humour, @Andria!

Jessica
      Participant

One thing I have used many times now and can say it helps with breathing is nose strips. They look like bandages and all you do is stick them over your nose. Unfortunately I haven’t found a good way to heal the cold faster, but I support anything that makes it more tolerable.

Andria Perry
        Participant

Thank you, I need to buy some, at least once to try for myself.

gayathri
      Participant

A few drops of ecualyptus oil in hot water for steaming will definitely help. You can try applying mustard oil vigorously on the soles which is a great remedy. A few basil leaves in the tea should help greatly.

Andria Perry
        Participant

Can I make mustard oil myself? I do have the seeds. I have basil, a whole flower pot full of fresh.

rextrulove

Another excellent remedy is one that some people will refuse to even try; horseradish. Regular grated horseradish is a very powerful expectorant, strong enough to make your eyes water, and it does break up phlegm. Some people don’t like the taste…I do…but it works well.

Andria Perry
        Participant

I don’t have any plain but I have horsey sauce, will that work? eating it? This is all in my head, none in the chest area at all.

rextrulove

I’ve never tried the sauce, but it might work if it is strong enough that it sort of singes your nose hairs when you sniff it (naturally, when you aren’t stuffed up).

Andria Perry
        Participant

No but its spicy and makes tour nose run.

rextrulove

If it makes your nose run, it should work. When you are congested, you want a decongestant and a running nose is a pretty good sign of a decongestant. 😀

rextrulove

By the way, mustard oil can be made by either crushing some mustard seed with a mortar and pestle or using the powdered mustard that is commonly used as a seasoning and mixing it with hot olive oil, then letting it cool to room temperature. Go easy on it, though, because if it is too potent, it can blister the skin. For that matter, you could probably put a spoon of the mustard powder in a hot bath and soak, too. That way it isn’t concentrated.

Andria Perry
        Participant

I never thought about it blistering, I do make the powder fresh for recipes so I know it has a bite to it. Thanks!

angie10
        Participant

@Andria….I think the dreaded phlegm will come as you get better.

blueberry
      Participant

I guess they have given all the advice/suggestions you needed. But to share, I do water therapy and consume citrus fruits and a lot of rest. I hope you will feel better soon.

Andria Perry
        Participant

What water therapy? And I have been eating oranges every night, rest? what`s that :). Thank you.

angie10
      Participant

So sorry to hear you’re feeling poorly, @Andria….get well soon 🙂 A honey, ginger and garlic concoction usually works for me 🙂 A little Vick’s in your bath water also helps. You can also rub some in to your sore muscles and place a little bit around your nostrils.

Andria Perry
        Participant

How do you make the concoction with the garlic?

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

I use vicks vaporub. I put it on my head, forehead, nose, bridge of nose, little inside and I can get relieve.

Andria Perry
        Participant

I really need some Nicks badly… I can breath a little better today but This is not going away soon 🙁 thanks you.

Nana
      Participant

OK @andria perry what did it for you I feel it coming on

Andria Perry
        Participant

The hot tea with mint,And each morning I have a hot cup of lemon water with a drizzle of honey BEFORE ANYTHING. Alka seltzer cold meds at night only. I am not stopped up anymore but I am tight in the chest when I wake, after the hot lemon water It breaks up and comes up and I am fine the rest of the day, just blow my nose on occasion.

ptrk12
      Participant

Take steam, drink warm water and apply some medicated balm on forehead, back and chest for relief.

Andria Perry
        Participant

Thank you. Today I am feeling much better. 🙂

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.