Getting your first gig

Activity Forums Writing Content Getting your first gig

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  kendra 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

gcarvell
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m a newbie blogger. I’m interested in writing about science – my lifelong passion, but I really have no idea where to start.
    I have some samples of features and columns I’ve written for my campus magazine (I’m a post-grad student) and I have my own site where I have started writing short blog pieces.

BUT (and it is a big one), I’m broke and as much as I love to write for the fun of it, I need to start writing for money ASAP.

I have some questions for those of you who have broken in and are successfully writing for pay. I’m sure the answers to these will help a bunch of new writers like myself, so thank you in advance for all your insights!

=> How did you get your first writing job? Did you have a contact, an “in”? Did you have samples in your niche already? How did you approach the blog, or client you wanted to write for? Do you have any words of wisdom for a newbie like me?

May
    Participant

I’m a relatively new blogger as well. It’s been really difficult for me to find opportunities just to get my work out there even if I’m willing to volunteer my time. Most well-known sites haven’t been interested in my work and I’m looking for any potential advice to get started.

Thank you in advance!

90skids
    Participant

I’m new to this so I could use some pointers too

writer
    Participant

@gcarvell, I’m a newbie too:). I don’t know about blogging gigs but I think since you are an expert in science (at least compared to most of us) you would be a great caandidate to write a series of short ebooks and you could make a lot fast. Just ‘google it.’

trinawilliams
    Participant

I won’t be much help here either, as just like the rest of you, I am also new. I actually found this site by searching for freelance writing on Google. I am no expert at any singular topic, but I have opinions on a great variety of things.

I have created a few pages on this site, but have yet to really fill them. I also made sure to add links to different social networking sites such as Facebook and Pinterest. This way I am able to share my own links on my own social networking sites should I choose to.

Additionally I joined Linkedin and, although I have not yet added anyone, I am able to search for publications, local or national, as well as editors and journalists. I am hoping that by doing so I will be able to network and gain success this way.

When I began this site my goal was to simply earn some extra money, whether through rewards, gift cards, cash, etc. I know this site works by redeeming points and, although I have not yet built my page, I believe Hubpages works that way as well.

I have been considering reaching out to other successful bloggers, many of which I have found on Pinterest or through a simple search, to see how they gained their following and success.

laurie1979
    Participant

I have a blog of my own and the only way I am gaining some bit of money there is if someone clicks on each one. Every time someone clicks on the links in each article, I earn something like a few cents or so. I know it’s not much but it all adds up. Besides that option, there’s also places that pay blogger. For example, back in 2009, I was using Blogger (I no longer use that one since my current one with WP is even better). I got paid $5 each by Blogsvertise. You should look more into it.

Payton
      Participant

Blogsvertise? You are just now telling me about this haha!

Pragati
    Participant

I am broke too 😛 But not a very Bad situation though. I personally believe Blogjob to be one of my solutions, because compared to traditional blogging Blogjob gives pretty instant rewards (I am not talking about Redeeming points) on blogjob you can actually see the Financial Progress you are making. Whereas in traditional blogs it takes time to first Build a good blog then the following, then get enough traffic to click on the links so you get paid 😛

If used wisely Blogjob can be a Great source to earn money ! About $150 per week. Again, that depends on how skilled you are. Can you generate Unique and Quality content?

Often there are no quick fixes to situations like being broke. Work STRATEGICALLY and you might earn enough to pay all the bills in time.

Pragati
    Participant

My heart goes out to everyone who is caught up in a financial problem. I understand how difficult life gets when you are facing a financial crisis.

Here’s my Strategy to make the most of Blogjob.com

The most paying task on Rewards list is Posting a new Blog post, 50 points . So I have decided to write upto 10 posts per day or minimum stick to 3-4 posts. Each of 500-1000 words. My topics are to help fellow Blogjobbers to learn and get inspired to write their own content.

Create a plan, divide your target into weekly or daily tasks and generate smart ideas to do so. Try to meet the small targets on time, and Blog consistently, this will also improve your writing and you can later use your blogjob Sites as a sample to get gigs !

if you write 5 posts a day you get 1750 points per week (I havent counted points for commenting and other tasks)
    If thats too slow for you, continue posting at least Once a day until you get an actual gig ! 🙂

laurie1979
    Participant

Pragati, thanks for posting this info into this group. I actually printed it out as a reference to use since it’s a good one to make money with. I would like to make more than $150 a week though.

I just want to state that if you do 10 posts a day, there’s a good chance the writing part may suffer because you have to come up with a lot more ideas to keep things fresh and inform people of some techniques and ideas that you personally use. 3-4 posts a day might be ideal but doing 10 is just way too much. I do love to blog but not enough where I will end up running out of ideas and my writing suffers due to looking at the amount of blog posts compare to the quality of the writing.

laurie1979
    Participant

Pragati, I also suggest using some free sites while you’re in the middle of doing blog posts to take a breathing room. Check out Slice the Pie. I get paid to write a short review while having to listen to each songs for a minute and a half. Just yesterday, most of my reviews gave me 8 cents each.

Pragati
      Participant

@laurie1979 Thanks for all the suggestions. You are right, sometimes it is too much to handle (10 posts 😀 a day)
      I will definitely try Slice the Pie 🙂
      Again thanks for letting me know 🙂

laurie1979
    Participant

@pragati Your welcome. I just thought it would be best to hear what I’ve been told as well as what I’ve been told. It’s not the amount of writing that you do that matters. It’s the quality of the writing material that either would help or hinder your career. If someone sees a lot of errors on it, what employer or client would take you seriously? More than likely, they would go elsewhere for someone else to help them and don’t even bother to contact you.

kendra
    Participant

There’s another topic that addresses this same question called “how do you get gigs.” I’d recommend reading up on it. https://blogjob.com/forums/topic/how-do-you-get-gigs/

I gave my answer there, but will go ahead and answer here too.

Yes, I did have to have experience and links to past work in order to get all of the writing jobs I’ve obtained. It took me over 3 years to finally break in and start getting considered for hire. I am a columnist for two magazines (Angie’s Diary and U Blush magazine) and have a full time career with a company that assigns their writers specific titles to write about based on the writers’ expertise. The titles vary greatly each week, depending on who the client is and what they want. So, it can be food one week and entertainment or beauty the next.

Anyways, those are my current ones. I was just let go from a company where I did content curating. Actually, I worked for two different ones.

With all of that, I make less than minimum wage. In fact, last month, all of my pay for the entire month totaled up to less than $200.

I want to be honest with you — if you’re needing money “asap,” I really don’t think you’re going to get it in this area. I’m in no way trying to disappoint, but encourage you to perhaps also seek out other pay that way you aren’t severely let down when months pass and your bank account hasn’t gone much higher. Obviously you can and will make something here at BlogJob. I certainly recommend hanging around because at the moment, this is the best opportunity as far as paid blogging (where you don’t have to have any credentials or experience or anything to get “hired”). That’s just as far as I know, though.

Keep in mind, BlogJob posts jobs here that we can apply for. I think it’s from one of those job sites. If you look at the very top of the page, where you see the options like “Forums”, you’ll also see one that says “jobs.” You could always check there & just give it a shot. A lot of small companies are willing to hire writers without a lot of experience.

I had to start out with non-paying jobs. Jobs that earn you exposure and links to put in your resumes in the future. This is precisely how I built myself up to paid jobs and gigs. There are a few websites that allow any writer this opportunity, and I highly recommend perusing them! This way, you can quickly add up plenty of links to your previous work, which are sometimes referred to as “writing samples”, and almost every job asks you to link to past work so they can get an idea about your skills and whether you’d benefit their brand. I’ll list them in a moment.

It is very possible to make good income as a writer. But, it requires a lot of time and building up of experience, in my experience anyways.

With that said, I would recommend really getting out there and trying for many different paid jobs. If you are willing to do other jobs to earn $ online (instead of only being willing to work writing jobs), then the $ can really add up, if you have enough time to spend at it. If you are willing to try other jobs, then I recommend checking out this thread https://blogjob.com/forums/topic/what-other-sites-do-you-guys-use-to-make-money/

You’ll find virtually every source of online income available! From getting paid to review music you listen to, to doing simple Google searches on websites like Click Worker, or even just to Tweet about a company. There’s many opportunities, so if your goal at the moment is to make as much $ as you can, I recommend using as many of these as time will allow for you. That way you aren’t as limited at how much you can earn a day. If you only stick with one income source (say blogging,) then well, you only have one income source.

Which reminds me, if you are looking to make $ more than simply trying to get experience at the moment, then try checking the link above and signing up for the ones that resonate with you. Also, use Bing rewards as your search engine. I explain about how that works in the thread I linked to above. You earn points for searches (limit is 15 a day) and it eventually adds up and you can “cash out” for various rewards. Mine have been building for months & the reward options, last I checked seemed pretty worth the time!

Back to writing. Below are some places you can submit your work to & get published right away, without having to apply and without any experience. Your work is featured there and viewed by others. These sites are great ways to build your experience, and like I said, have something to link back to when you apply for jobs:

1. Triond. Bing it and get points for using Bing & create an account on Triond, then start publishing. It’s really simple.

2. Ezines

3. Hubpages

And I can’t think of the others, but there are plenty. The few above should create a nice start for you. I hope this info has been helpful to you & I hope you’ll check out those threads I linked to for more opportunities earning. 😉

Best of luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.