Editing your work

Activity Forums Writing Content Editing your work

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Educateurself 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

mcisper
    Participant

First off, I’m curious if we all consider ourselves writers at this site? Second, I would like to know if any of you have written any books; of any genre? Did you get it published; if not, what is holding you back? If you did get your book(s) published how did you do it; independently or through a publishing house? What made you choose the road you chose to be published through?

I ask all the above because I’m honestly interested in understanding other authors and perhaps seeing their work. I’m also curious about how they go about getting it out there for the public to consume.

Which brings me to editing. So, I guess the reason I bring it up is I am curious to know if you are like me where you are dead broke and can’t afford the luxuries of having someone else to professionally edit their work. If that is the case, how many times do you read through your work prior to saying, “That’s it, mistakes or no mistakes, it’s time to be published.”? After having it published, and you read it again and come across your missed errors; even if you went through it a half dozen times, how does it make you feel? Do you feel if the content of the story is gripping enough people should ignore the errors?

vincenblack
    Participant

I have personally finished one novel and I am looking to hear back from a publisher in a month. I have no had good luck procuring an agent so I have been querrying publishers that accept works directly from the author.

Editing is a pain. Even the guys who are paid make mistakes and their eyes are more objective than yours. After putting weeks, months, or even years into your masterpiece, the last thing on your mind is if you confused their/there/they’re in a 60,000 word manuscript.

When I write anything approaching manuscript length, I like to stop every 2000 words or so and re-read it and try to make sure I’m actively paying attention to what I wrote instead of what I think I wrote. That is a very hard thing to do. Conveying your thoughts in print does not always match up with how you worked it out in your head.

Because I have ready many books that contain editing oversights, I do believe in certain cases the content of a story outweighs the typographical errors, but only to an extent. Too many errors can take ruin even the best story if you the reader has to constantly determine the writer’s intent.

mcisper
    Participant

Thanks for your personal insight. I appreciate your candor.

Zacc
    Participant

It is good to find this forum. I am a freelance writer and never had the chance to write and publish a book. I have written many articles on websites and most of my work is sold out to other people. Apart from that I am an editor and proofreader. For three years now with freelancing, I am now thinking of writing an E-book about what I like doing best when am not been paid.

Zacc
    Participant

I would be glad to see some of your work .

Zacc
    Participant

I will be transferring my points to any user who joins my group and uses it regularly. Join it and I add u 5 points. Regular contributions will be between 2 and 5 points depending with your effort.

jsnitz08
      Participant

Which group is this? I would love to join your group 🙂

misty1987
    Participant

I’m so new to all of this writing malarkey and am yet to find a niche that I feel comfortable writing it. At the moment, I just tend to type whatever I’m thinking or feeling so I tend not to recheck and edit my work. Silly of me really!

That being said, I’m trying to take this site more seriously and more recently I have been taking extra effort in making sure I haven’t made any spelling mistakes and that what I’ve written makes sense.

Stephanie C
    Participant

I want to write a book, but fear keeps me from attempting it… I would love to publish one day, though. Good luck!

JORDANA
    Participant

I always edit my post for i have a great ideas just comes out from my mind

Educateurself
    Participant

I proofread my articles only. Spelling typos and grammatical mistakes can kill the interest of viewers or your clients so its important to always edit. When it comes to book, you have to hire a qualified editor.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.