Do you post links to articles?

Activity Forums Writing Content Do you post links to articles?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Brooke
      Participant

Have any of you posted links to articles within your posts? Do you think it is a good idea to do that?

Sonu
      Participant

no Brooke. but I want to do it, tell me if you figure out a way to do that. I don’t want to end up blocking my blog

kendra
      Participant

Well, it really depends. If you’re citing someone else, or someone else’s work, then it’s a must. It’s unethical for an author (or blogger) to not link back, when it’s required. Typically, you link back to your source anytime you use any of their work, whether it’s images, words/quotes or videos.

I do link back to sources when, for example, I’m posting an image of a project I’ve crocheted using their pattern. I always, always link back when using any work of someone else’s. Links to articles… Well, are creating a post just to link to said articles? If so, that is considered spam on most places & spam is most definitely against the rules. If you’re talking about linking to other articles of yours, published elsewhere on the web, then it could be considered spam, but really probably depends on what your post reads like. For example, if it has nothing real to contribute and is obviously a bunch of filler words used as nothing more than an attempt to get people to click a link to read another article of yours published elsewhere, it might be considered spam. It would help to know more about what types of posts you plan to post and include the article links to. I’ve seen spam done in this way on sites like Ezine Articles so much that I don’t even trust that site any more. You’ll see authors posting content that’s regurgitated, totally un-useful and worthless just to get their links to products or other articles out there. I’ll just say, it’s always obvious when one does this.

On the other hand, it would not be spam if for example, you were writing a post that shared your opinion and in it you linked to an article that is the focus of your own opinion post. I’ve done this on my other blog. When there’s a story that’s been covered either in the media or by another blogger and I want to elaborate on it, I will post a link to the original story, or to the blogger’s article I am referring to. In those cases, it’s necessary and typically accepted, but I am not 100% certain of BlogJob’s rules regarding this.

I don’t think BlogJob will “block” anybody’s blog for following ethical blogger practices. However, if you’re using links in a spammy way, then they could very well “block” your blog, and have every right to do so since no reputable company wants to be associated with spam or spammers. So, if you are wanting to link to stores or a product, or any affiliate links, then you should definitely ask first if that’s allowed. I cannot remember seeing anything about this when I signed up, but I will go check to see if I can find FAQs or something. If not, then you could get in touch with Sheridan (you could even get in touch her via her page.) If you can’t be 100% sure your links would not be of spam variety, then you should certainly ask first, or consider not linking.

kendra
      Participant

Back! I found a FAQ section (you can find it on the homepage of BlogJob by scrolling all the way to the bottom.)

Here’s exactly what one point in the section says regarding links (pretty much what I described, but in fewer words): “You agree to not use back link spam to promote your sites.”

That could be referring to using your other websites to link to your blog here on BlogJob. Then again, it could also mean that you aren’t allowed to use your BlogJob blog to make spammy posts promoting and linking to your other websites. Probably both are not allowed, if I had to guess. I know BlogJob doesn’t tolerate spam at all.

I don’t think it would be a good idea to use your BlogJob blog solely for the promotion of your other websites. I don’t think that means you can’t connect your other websites with/on your BlogJob blog, but that you can posts spam posts to send readers to other websites belonging to you.

Brooke
      Participant

Thanks Kendra for that information. Yeah I wasn’t trying to not source. I just had an idea, but I think I’m better off just writing my content alone.

kendra
      Participant

P.S. I commented before but it didn’t show up here. I think it is okay to link, like I said, as long as it’s not spammy. There are some instances that would require a product link and the like. Hope I didn’t sound like I was saying that any link would be considered spammy that was a sales link or something. I mean if you were only writing about say, you sell acne treatment and all your articles were about acne and all of them linked to your acne products. Lol. That was what I figure would be a spammy kind of account. Hope I made sense… Sometimes it’s good to use your links and sometimes you can just write the content alone. It all depends on your topic, I guess. I do always like to provide links when I’m citing a study or something, too.

Zacc
      Participant

I have been doing it. Links improve the ranking of a blog in a search engine. It is also used for keyword in a blog. I don’t think it is unethical as long as it is not SPAM. Links can also be used to promote your products from other websites. If it is wrong here I better go somewhere else.

SadieMarie
      Participant

I do add links, referral links and also links to other sites with great info. If I write a blog with a recipe I will also include a link to that website.

Stephanie C
      Participant

I only add links if it makes sense. I don’t like having random links that go to irrelevant sites.

Jessica
      Participant

For my Language Log blog I absolutely link to websites that have the story I want to discuss. I know that my readers may not know the events and I want to give them as much background as I can. I try not to overdo it, however. I want my thoughts to be the primary piece of my article.

Genevia Cameron
      Participant

I personally add links only when I feel it’s absolutely necessary. I don’t like to add too many links because it seems spammy unless it’s a link directly to a site. I think there is a way you can go about even doing referral links with a bit of class but you can’t try to over do it by posing too much at one time. There are far too many sites out there with heavy referral links leading to useless information.

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

I am looking for the topic like this and I am thankful I found it. I am planning to give a review on the site that I presently getting money. I will do a review but I will not put my referral link. Or can I give a review of a certain site?

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

I have always added one or two quality links to a post of 300+ words. I see no reason to consider a link to related content spam. It’s good for SEO, and it helps readers find similar content. I hope the admin here agree with that!

peachpurple
      Participant

I add two links to my other site’s, all are related to my current blogjob blogs. Is it ok?

TAlberts
      Participant

I also inserted 2 links which are related to my topic and my Amazon ad is also inserted in my blog. I wonder if it´s okay. I hope the admin can clarify us.

iyanpol12
      Participant

I never did. But someone said it is not allowed so I will not do it.

TAlberts
        Participant

It is allowed. I have read it somewhere. I think in the FAQ.

thisnthat
      Participant

It seems to be okay as long as you don’t abuse it. I don’t blame them for not tolerating spam though. Too many people try to take advantage.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.