Do You Offer Post Content Warnings?

Activity Forums Writing Content Do You Offer Post Content Warnings?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Jessica 3 years ago.

• Author

Jessica
    Participant

If you know me, you know how I feel about content warnings and trigger warnings. If you don’t know me, the short version is that I loathe both of them. That said, I will label certain blog posts with a type of content warning. Often my Creepy Reading Corner and Creepy Viewing Corner blogs get *Spoilers* and I might label posts on non-political blogs as *Political*. I think of it as a public service in that readers who like the overarching niche of my blog but don’t like other aspects have advanced warning.

Do you post content warnings for your blogs? If you deviate from the normal “feel” of your blog for a particular post, do you mention it early on in your blog post? If you choose not to use content warnings, what is your thoughts behind your decision?

rextrulove

I’ve never had a need to do so, because of what my stuff is usually about, though I could understand why some people would use them.

DW Davis
    Participant

I have never used a reader warning as the material I post on line is generally appropriate for all aged over 13 years.

angie10
    Participant

I guess if i were reviewing a books or movies, i’d offer spoiler alerts where I saw the need. But since I don’t, I have no need for that sort of thing.

rextrulove

I *do* sometimes give a disclaimer when I write an herbal remedy. It is possible for a person to be allergic to literally anything, plus some medicinal herbs shouldn’t be used in certain situations.

I have never had to label my work like that because I really don’t write stuff like that.

angie10
    Participant

@brendamarie…. that’s a good point; if you don’t write stuff like that then there’s no need. I guess if i wrote movie and book reviews, I may put a spoiler warning. Just in case.

Kyla Matton Osborne
    Participant

I don’t generally write posts that might require a warning, per se. But I do post disclosure notices (e.g. “I’m not a doctor” or “This post was first published elsewhere…”) where appropriate.

angie10
    Participant

@Kyla Matton Osborne…that’s another good one to put on your posts. Some people just don’t seem to have the ability to engage some common sense, there’s no harm in spelling everything out LOL

metsrock69
    Participant

The kind of content I write, I want everyone to be able to read. I think of it as keeping my options open

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.