Do You Make a Point to Step Outside Your Comfort Zone?

Activity Forums General Discussion Do You Make a Point to Step Outside Your Comfort Zone?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

kendra
      Participant

Just finished reading a really great article about the whole “stepping outside your comfort zone” thing. I got curious if and in what ways other folks “step outside” of theirs. So, I’m asking ya’ll — do you try to step outside your own zone of comfort sometimes? If so, what are some examples/ways you have done this?

I have kind of always tried to do a little stepping outside my comfort zone because it usually leads to something positive, and sometimes makes for a great thrill! The hardest part, though, is taking the first step! Lol. I would love to do more thrilling things that I typically would feel uncomfortable doing, though. What are your ways of doing this?

SadieMarie
      Participant

I try to most of the time. I love changing and growing and I feel that challenging yourself by stepping out of your comfort zone helps you grow as a person.

Kimberly Brown
      Participant

I really do not step out of my comfort zone to much because I don’t really like change.

kendra
        Participant

Oh, definitely same with me, sometimes! I try to be okay with change, but I tend to sometimes view changes as threats to my… comfort I guess. LOL. Some changes I’m better with, but mostly, I have to make an effort to see them as non-threatening, positive things to just go with.

It’s hard to be an anxious person. Sounds like you might also have some anxiety you deal with too?

Amalthea Hustles
      Participant

Yes, I try to step out of my comfort zone regularly. I embrace change, and learn about new things all the time, and try to meet people from as many walks of life as I possibly can. For me, it makes the world feel like a safer place.

kendra
        Participant

“to me, it makes the world feel like a safer place..”

That make a lot of sense! What a positive outlook on the discomfort of stepping outside our comfort zones! 🙂 I like this. Thanks for your insight.

Pegasus
      Participant

I do and I don’t. I do because the things I do push me out of MY comfort zone, but from an outsider’s point of view it looks like I do very little. For instance I hate driving downtown, but there are a lot of homeschool meetups down there and my favorite little sweets shop too. I have to muster up a lot of courage to drive it, but I will do it. It isn’t a big deal for others though.

kendra
        Participant

I totally feel ya on that one! I had a very hard time stepping outside my comfort zone, even if it meant going to fun places. Anxiety would have me a wreck and to the point where I wouldn’t even *want* to go! Thankfully, it got better and now I’m able to, but the efforts I have to put in to do seemingly normal things (normal to most) is big.

So, I can understand your discomfort over driving downtown. I get really nervous in big traffic, so that would be rough on someone who already isn’t comfortable driving through it, like you said. I wish stepping out of our comfort zone was a *little* more comfortable though! Lol. 😉

Oh, I also can relate to what you said about how to other people, it can sometimes look like you don’t do much. I think other people, especially those who enjoy the fast paced, on-the-go-go-go living have a hard time seeing life from the point of view of folks like us, who don’t find it so easy to just jump up and go anywhere anytime.

kendra
      Participant

Perfectly said, Sadie! That is exactly what I’ve come to think stepping outside your comfort zone does. I didn’t realize it until I actually stepped out of mine, though! Lol. I stayed well within mine for the longest time & started feeling extremely unfulfilled. Started doing a little stepping out & what do you know? Turns out, I think I actually do need more human to human interaction than I originally thought. Lol. I was under the impression my cats were the equivalent. Hahaha.

Pragati
      Participant

I do not conform to any social norms…Usually try to do everything differently and in my own way. For ordinary people it is like stepping out of their comfort zone, but for me it is a way of life…

kendra
        Participant

Pragmati: I like that! Just being your true self and being free of the pressures of needing to conform (to anything, including “social norms” like you said) is definitely the only kind of life worth living. 😉 Once you can really get to that place where you’re comfortable and happy being the true you, you realize how fulfilling life can really be. That’s how my experience has been so far, anyways.

I think that what you described — trying to do things differently than what the world does sounds like a nice ‘way of life.’ 😉

kendra
      Participant

for me, it’s pushing myself to kind make more efforts towards personal goals and taking opportunities, and not avoiding them just because they don’t feel easy. Taking the opportunities that require effort when you know that in doing so, you’ll be happier in the long run. For instance, I spend a lot of time alone — and it keeps me out of the loop of things, which I enjoy– but being human, I know I feel better when I have more contact with others. It’s much easier to not go out on a limb and take the chance to seek out friends and people who I’ll likely enjoy being around, but when I push myself outside of the lazy, comfort zone and forget my shyness, then I always end up feeling grateful and rewarded and fulfilled, from stepping outside of the zone that I would otherwise stay cozy and comfy in.

Stepping out of the “comfort zone” when you know it’ll benefit you in the long run. That was the meaning I intended.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.