Do you know?

Activity Forums General Discussion Do you know?

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author

shaloowalia
      Participant

Let’s share some interesting facts in this thread. Here goes the first one:

6 rounds of Surya Namaskar daily Develops the solar plaxus, its the Intuitive brain in our body…!!

rextrulove

Most people in the US and many other countries would have no idea of what Surya Namaskar is, @shaloowalia.

gayathri
        Participant

@rextrulove, surya namaskar is a single mantra to keep fit if you are pressed for time. It is a set of 12 powerful yogasanas (exercise postures)that provide a good cardio vascular work out.It is a good way to keep the body in shape and the mind in a clean and healthy state.It is literally translated to sun salutation which we do to show our gratitude to the sun for making this planet liveable.

rextrulove

@gayathri, there is something to be said for that. It is rather like getting trained in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, then going somewhere where there are no people and suffering a heart attack. Since a person can’t perform CPR on themselves, what can they do?

The answer is to force yourself to cough, deeply and repeatedly. The act of deep coughing causes the diaphragm and the chest muscles to massage the heart, in a way that is similar to CPR. It really works, but most people who are trained to give CPR don’t know about it. Most other people don’t know about it either. If more people did, a lot of people who die from heart attack could keep from dying.

TAlberts
        Participant

I don’t know about that, too. Please share more informations @shaloowalia

suni51
        Participant

@rextrulove Surya Namaskar is a Yoga posture in which one has to look at Sun very early in the morning and perform certain specific exercises. It is a difficult exercise but very helpful for different body functions.

rextrulove

@suni51, I’m not sure that I could do anything like that anymore. My hip is badly damaged and my knee is hurt almost as much, so it is painful to even stand for too long.

rextrulove

Here is one: Lightning strikes the earth, land or water, about 100 times each second of every day, year around.

gayathri
        Participant

OMG! @rextrulove, it is interesting to know that.

rextrulove

@gayathri, I love trivia, especially sciences. Here are another couple that are related:

The largest lake in the world is the Caspian Sea, which isn’t a sea, it is a salt lake. The deepest fresh water lake, in surface area, is Lake Superior. HOWEVER, the deepest freshwater lake is Lake Baikal in Russia, at about a mile deep, and because of its depth and the fact that it is still a huge lake in surface area, it contains more fresh water than all five of the great lakes, combined.

suni51
        Participant

@rextrulove I know a little bit about that but most of these are so mild that people do not feel them.

Simona Abdi
      Participant

I’ve searched on Google – thanks God we have Google search engine LOL- and Surya Namaskar means the Salutation to the Sun. A Hindu worship to Surya, the Hindu solar deity. It could be also a yoga exercise.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I think the OP was referring to the yoga exercise. You can see how to do a Sun Salutation in this video:

Maricel
      Participant

First time to read it here I didn’t know that something to search for.

shaloowalia
      Participant

@rextrulove Surya Namaskar means Sun Salutation. It’s a set of twelve yoga postures.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

I have to google that but I’m sure it’s positive no matter what.

rextrulove

Here is another interesting fact; Unicorns did exist, though they were less like horses and more like rhinos. Called the “giant siberian unicorn”, the animal was apparently still living about 29,000 years ago, before the last ice age. That means that it would have had contact with early man. It wasn’t a streamlined animal and it didn’t look like a horse, but it also didn’t really look like a rhino, either. However, it did have a single large horn in the middle of its forehead.

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

I think Unicorns do really exists because there is some people, old people who draw them in the stone, that is the reason why animators are inspired to do animation of unicorns.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

That is cool about the unicorn facts. I used to be obscessed with them about 25 or more years ago.

rextrulove

Do you know that one reason the troublesome and damaging little plant sucking insect called the aphid can become a problem so fast is that they give live birth to exclusively pregnant females through the growing season? All of the baby aphids are females that are pregnant at birth.

Only in the last generation of the year are a small number of males born. These mate with the females, who then lay eggs. The eggs can survive the winter. However, all of the aphids hatching out of the eggs are again pregnant females. Is that a time saver, or what?

shaloowalia
      Participant

In a 2008 survey, 58% of British teens thought Sherlock Holmes was a real guy, while 20% thought Winston Churchill was not.

rextrulove

If you combined all the ants in the world and weighed them, they would weigh more than all of the people in the world. That’s a LOT of ants!

gayathri
        Participant

OMG!@rextrulove, I am freezing here listening to that.

rextrulove

@gayathri, very strange things happen at temperatures that cold, too. If you take a perfectly normal raw egg out and throw it into the air, it will not only freeze before it hits the ground, it will bounce as if it is made of rubber. If you tried to drive a nail with a hammer at temperatures that cold, the nail would almost certainly shatter and the hammer might, too. (Metal gets quite brittle at temperatures of minus 70 F / minus 56.6 C.) However, you’d have no problem using a fully ripe banana to chip ice. It would freeze solid so quickly and so hard that it would be harder than the ice.

A cup of hot coffee or tea would take a matter of seconds to freeze solid. Without special thermal clothing, a person would freeze to death in about 3.8 seconds at that temperature and in less than a minute, would be frozen solid.

After reading Surya Namaskaar, I feel like sharing something related to Sun.

1. India had a TV show once upon a time about a superhero in Sun’s dynasty called Shaktiman (meaning almighty) – it became so famous that many young children committed suicide hoping that this superhero will save them.
      The serial management later issued official “the making” explaining that this is only a fiction and work of animation / science and no one shall commit suicide unnecessarily.

2. Indians estimated distance between Sun and Earth to be 12 million Yojana in 14th century AD where Yojana is an Indian unit of distance roughly equaling 8 miles.

Interestingly, as per modern astronomy, this distance = 92.95 million miles.

3. People often believe that Sun Light travels 3 Lac km/second which is not true. The speed is actually only 299792458 m/s and that too in vacuum. The speed is lower when the transmission media is not vacuum.

4. As per Albert Einstein, both heliocentric and geocentric models are true and this can be explained by relativity.

5. Sun is in the center of solar system and has approx 5778 Kelvin temperature but usually weighs less than Jupiter.

shaloowalia
      Participant

Ostriches can run faster than horses, and the male ostriches can roar like lions.

rextrulove

The fastest land animal over long distance is the prong horn of North America. The cheetah is a few miles an hour faster, but only for a distance of a mile or so.

Cheetahs will most likely become extinct in the next century, because they are all so genetically identical that they are nearly clones of one another. Man has nothing to do with it.

But then, 99.9% of all animal species that ever lived became extinct before man learned how to use fire.

@rextrulove

Sorry but I did not get you.
        How can cloning make Cheetah extinct?

rextrulove

@fun1oriented2learning, It is called a genetic bottle-neck and it is the reason inter-breeding brothers and sisters is a bad idea. If there isn’t enough new genetic material in the gene pool, recessive genes become active more often, resulting in deformities and ultimately sterile animals. Genetically, a cheetah from one area is so much like another from a thousand miles away that a scientist would have trouble determining that they weren’t identical twins, though they couldn’t be.

Interestingly, genetic bottle-necks can be traced and that is how science knows that there was indeed a ‘great flood’, as in the story of Noah.

ptrk12
      Participant

@shaloowalia many people also write letters to the address 221B which was that of Sherlock Holmes in Conan Doyle’s novels.

ptrk12
      Participant

Also Indian Ocean is the only ocean in the world that is named after a country.

shaloowalia
      Participant

New-born giraffes stand at around 6 feet tall, making them taller than most adult humans.

rextrulove

The sound of a duck’s quack doesn’t echo. Nobody knows for sure exactly why.

shaloowalia
      Participant

20 million trees are cut every year to meet the Chinese consumption of 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks within a year.

rextrulove

This seems appropriate to the last post by @shaloowalia; roughly 1/3 of the US is covered by forests and about 4 million (4,000,000) acres of trees are planted EVERY DAY.

shaloowalia
      Participant

India has a spa just for elephants

Elephants receive baths, massages and even food at the Punnathoor Cotta Elephant Yard Rejuvenation Centre in Kerala.

shaloowalia
      Participant

The human calculator

Shakuntla Devi was given this title after she demonstrated the calculation of two 13 digit numbers: 7,686,369,774,870 × 2,465,099,745,779 which were picked at random. She answered correctly within 28 seconds.

shaloowalia
      Participant

The Tirupati Balaji temple and the Kashi Vishwanath Temple both, receive more visitors than the Vatican City and Mecca combined.

rextrulove

Yellowstone National Park was the first national park in the world. It became a national park in 1872 and the park is located in the US states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. It covers an area of over 3,400 square miles.

shaloowalia
      Participant

India has more mosques (300,000 mosques) than any other nation in the world.

rextrulove

The first space probes, sent out at the cost of millions of dollars, had less memory than a hand held calculator does today. The first Voyager probe had 4 kb of memory.

shaloowalia
      Participant

In 2004, 200 Indian women took law in their own hands and came to the court armed with vegetable knives and chilli powder and murdered on the court floor a serial rapist – Akku Yadav. Then every woman claimed responsibility for the murder.

shaloowalia
      Participant

The game of Snakes & Ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev. It was originally called ‘Mokshapat’. The ladders in the game represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices. The game was played with cowrie shells and dices. In time, the game underwent several modifications, but its meaning remained the same, i.e. good deeds take people to heaven and evil to a cycle of re-births.

rextrulove

The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was in Antarctica in July 2010. It got down to minus 135.7 F / minus 93.2 C. For comparison, the temperature of dry ice or frozen carbon dioxide is minus 109.3 F / minus 78.5 C.

In 2012, the temperature dropped to nearly the same, in the same location, with the difference being just a couple of tenths of a degree.

shaloowalia
      Participant

The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982

rextrulove

The largest national park in the United States is Wrangell-St. Elias in Alaska, at 13,005 square miles. The largest national park in the lower 48 states, and the fifth largest in the US, is Death Valley National Park at 5,269 square miles.

These are dwarfed by the largest national park in the world. That is Northeast Greenland National Park in Greenland, at 375,000 square miles.

In comparison, Yellowstone National Park, the first national park in the world and in the US, covers 3,468 square miles. The Northeast Greenland National Park is over 100 times bigger than Yellowstone!

MommaOzzy
      Participant

Did you know that 48 football fields worth of forest are lost every minute to deforestation around the world?
      I just found this out and it was shocking. I already knew about the topic through science and English class, but I didn’t know it was to that extent.

rextrulove

@mommaozzy, I’ve seen that statistic several times before and the fact checking I’ve done is that it is true. BUT (there always seems to be a ‘but’) it also doesn’t take into account how many trees are planted. There are quite a few countries, like the US, that plant more trees than those that are harvested.

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

If you want your readers to pin your posts on Pinterest, you need to create images that are taller than wide. The best width is 600-736 px. And they should have an aspect ratio of 2:3.

shaloowalia
      Participant

Infamouns dictator Hitler was a huge fan of Major Dhyanchand. In fact after 1936 Burlin Olympic Finals, where India thrashed Germany by 8-1 Hitler summoned Dhyanchand and offered him German Citizenship. Of course legendary Hockey Wizard politely refused it.

rextrulove

What does a Manatee, giraffe, horse, rhino, deer, pig, zebra, cow, camel, pronghorn, big horn sheep, gazelle and hippopotamus all have in common? They are all ungulates or hooved animals. The manatee has flippers and lives in the water, but it is still an ungulate.

Anne-Marie Guyer
      Participant

I am not sure what you are talking about.

rextrulove

@leapea2417, are you referring to the animals in the list? All of those animals are grouped together with animals that have hooves. The point is that most of them don’t have much in common, but in fact they do have in common the fact that they each have hooves. The exception is the manatee, which is a creature that lives in the water and has flippers instead of feet. They are still considered to be an animal with hoofs because their direct ancestors, the ones that lived on land, had hoofs.

shaloowalia
      Participant

When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)

Mely
      Participant

I do not know the terms, Indian terms.Better translated right away in English side by side with the Indian words.

TAlberts
      Participant

I didn’t know that it’s so plenty @jordana. At least I know some of those languages ☺

suni51
      Participant

@JORDANA And I thought we are the only ones having more than 3000 languages in India. You are close enough 🙂

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.