Do You Collect Rain Water For Your Plants?

Activity Forums General Discussion Do You Collect Rain Water For Your Plants?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  simplym 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Anne Farmer
    Participant

Do you collect rain water in your yard for the plants? Is it illegal for you to do so? I have been told it might be soon because of the fact that mosquitoes breed in the containers it’s collected in. 🙁 Rain water is best for plant growth as you might know, better than tap water which actually inhibits growth.

rextrulove

I don’t do so, though it is legal to do it here. In some place in the US it isn’t legal because local governments have an absurd notion that they “own” the water that falls from the sky over a particular municipality or region.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

That is probably just an excuse they use. The real concern is the mosquitoes.

rextrulove

@anne123farmer, actually, in many cases, they don’t care about mosquitoes at all. However, when a city or town has a monopoly on water, they can charge whatever they want to and can dictate when and whether people water their lawns and flowerbeds. It is a form of control and one that makes money for those towns. Interestingly, some of those towns are in places that have plentiful supplies of water.

I had another thought, too. In some places, such as much of the northeast US, people wouldn’t want to use rainwater on their plants. It would probably kill them. The reason I say that is that much of the electricity in the northeast comes from coal burning generators. When coal is burned, the smoke that is released into the atmosphere is high in sulfur. Rain droplets that absorb the sulfur become quite acidic as small amounts of sulfuric acid is formed. This is the “acid rain” that used to be talked about. It is a real concern and it can be quite deadly to plants.

Andria Perry
      Participant

That is just awful! I collect five gallon buckets and I use it up, if I see one skeeter lava I dump it.

Grecy Garcia
    Participant

Yes, we collect rain water because we are using it to clean the bathroom floors, to wash the rags and just to wash floors. Actually, that is the one my father use to give water to plants.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

That should save on water bills @Grecy! The plants are in abundance here in the warmer months, my brother thinks he has to water his garden every single day while I give mine a break in between.

Anthony
    Participant

No we don’t collect rain water in our yard. The climate here is so wonderful, the rains fall naturally when needed to water the crops. We do not need to store rain water.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

@Anthony that is wonderful. Where do you live? I’m moving there. Hehe

Lee Ka
    Participant

Yes, we do collect the rain water. Besides watering the plants, we also used it to wash the yard and something in the yard as well.

I was quite surprise to read this is illegal in some places, but with your explanation, I understand why. We usually just use up the water quickly, so the mosquitoes will not be able to breed there.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

I use it up quick too and check for mosquito larvae in the buckets and such when I do collect it. I dislike mosquitoes and having them breed in those containers is just not acceptable.

blueberry
    Participant

Nope I’m not by my mom and my grandma does that and I feel like plants love rain water more plus it’s efficient in a way that you don’t have to sue water coming from the lines.

Anne Farmer
      Participant

You got that right, your mom and grandmom are very efficient people.

peachpurple
    Participant

Rain water isn’t clean but you can use it to scrub n clean the outdoor floor. My mil does that

Anne Farmer
      Participant

It’s not clean? I thought it was? I have never drank it though.

Anthony
      Participant

Yes agreed it isn’t clean but rain water seems to be the better water to grow crops. Remember it has Carbon dioxide dissolved in it which plants actually need

Kyla Matton Osborne
    Participant

It’s funny you should ask, as I was just given a rain barrel today as an early Mother’s Day present 🙂

The one I was given has no access for the mosquitoes, and is actually approved by our municipality. (They distribute such things, to encourage folks to care for the environment. We want to collect the water and use it on gardens, rather than to use the town water supply when water levels are low.)

Places where there are laws against collecting rainwater, the issue is sometimes – believe it or not – water rights!

Anne Farmer
      Participant

You were given the barrel as a gift for Mother’s Day. Cool, I want one too. Those water rights you talk about are an issue but silly ones at that. I do think there’s an underlying other reason for it. Rain falls from the sky and the sky belongs to the earth and not anyone in particular. Some people are ridiculous that way.

monsterjar03
    Participant

My parents have this sort of pond where rainwater is collected. My dad uses the water collected to water his plants.

Andria Perry
    Participant

I want rain barrels to keep the garden watered in the dry months that are coming. My dogs have five gallon buckets of water to drink from and for the most part rain water keeps them filled.

Danielle Bray
    Participant

I WANT to do this. However, it’s illegal here and in my home state. I think it’s silly for it to be illegal, especially if you live out in a rural place, have a farm, own your own land, etc. You can buy barrels that protect from mosquitoes and purify the water and stuff like that.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  Danielle Bray.

priscillaking
    Participant

I think laws against collecting rain water are idiotic and unconstitutional. If the concern is mosquitoes, the law should be against leaving water to stand for several days.

Where I live, the problem is more likely to be *too much* rain water. I’ve not watered a plant in years. Even with house plants, unless they’re really too big to belong indoors, it’s easier just to take them outside and let them have what nature so abundantly provides!

Manuela Lopes
    Participant

Not yet, but I also want to buy a contenter to collect it, it is true that it is the best for plants, but also during the summer sometimes we have problems with lack of water and the rain water could be a good solution.

nakitakona13
    Participant

Last Sunday, we got a heavy rain that lasted for more than an hour. The soil gets wet heavily. Since we were at the plaza, we had no time to prepare our empty cans or containers to collect the rain water. We usually collect the rain water for our plants.

Heart
    Participant

We collect rain water for cleaning the garage, pathways and other stuff… we also use it to water the plants. I didn’t know that it is illegal to collect rain water in some places. I was surprised.

simplym
    Participant

It does not rain often here, but when it does – my dad puts out some buckets but we do not collect much.

Diya
    Participant

Yeah

Diya
    Participant

I collect rain for drinking also.

simplym
      Participant

Is that safe? Do you boil the rain water?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.