Do women pay more?

Activity Forums General Discussion Do women pay more?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

rextrulove

Do you think that women are charged more than men for services, like repairs?

rextrulove

The reason I asked is that yet another study was recently released that showed that in the US, on average, women get charged as much as 25% more when they call a repairman, take the car in for servicing and so forth. That is a rip-off, but worse, since it is an average, it means that a lot of women may actually be paying twice as much for the same services if it was a man who was calling the repairman or taking the car in, etc.

henry
      Participant

I don’t believe it is about their pay. It is actually about their nature of not bothering to know whether they are overcharged or not. Whn it comes to vehicle repair, most of the mechanics know that very few women bother to know the details of the repair. thus the repairman may claim to have replaced several parts which he didn’t and charge more.

rextrulove

So do you think that women tend to be too trusting, @henry?

henry
        Participant

@rextrulove No. The women tend to be more submissive to the servicemen, who instead take advantage of it. I remember of a story of a mechanic who charged a lady over $20 in nintees, for just sandpapering the battery terminals of her vehicle. He had pretended to have done a lot on the vehicle before, by just fumbling with things under the vehicle, when he actualy knew the problem was simply the corroded battery leads. Men never easily fall for such tricks.

rextrulove

@henry, that rather reminds me of a girlfriend I had a long time ago, 1970’s and several years before I got married. She took her pickup to the shop to have the oil changed and to get it lubed. It was a big name shop. She was charged $125 more than it cost to do the oil change and lube. He told her that he had to replace the U-joints, bleed the brake assembly and that it took four hours in labor. He had it all written out, too.

She said nothing to the man but took the bill into the office, of course with the man thinking that she was going to pay it. Instead, she walked past the girl at the counter and into the office of the manager and put the bill on the desk. He looked it over and asked what the problem was.

She explained that she had come in for an oil change and lube, and that the U-joint hadn’t needed to be replaced, nor did the brake assembly need to be bled, that it wouldn’t have taken four hours even if they had needed the work and that neither had anything to do with the oil or lube. The manager agreed, but asked how she knew that the U-joint hadn’t needed replacing and the brakes didn’t need bleeding. She replied that she’d replaced the u-joint and brakes as well as overhauling the differential the previous week. She was a top rated mechanic and had only brought the rig in because she didn’t have time to do the lube and oil change. She could literally take an engine totally apart and put it back together in a few hours.

The mechanic in question was fired, the manager ripped up the bill, and he gave her free lubes and oil jobs for the life of the pickup, THEN offered her a job on the spot. LOL

Anne Farmer
      Participant

No matter how submissive sounding a person might be it is still a person and to take advantage like like no matter what sex they are is really immoral in my opinion. How would they like it if their wife, gf, child or so forth would be charged more than the men? I think an honest repairman would charge equally the same no matter who it is. Hopefully there are some still out there, they will only sleep better at night unless they’re a psychopath type of personality. That seems harsh but people need to have a concience these days and do the right thing.

rextrulove

@anne123farmer, I agree that it shouldn’t be done, and over charging and taking advantage of people is very much against the law, but I have a feeling that it is far more common than the law knows about. In fact, my daughter won’t have anything done on the car unless I’m right there, even though those particular mechanics are honest.

peachpurple
      Participant

yes, women pay more on car repair because they don’t know the market price

rextrulove

@peachpurple, I think it is more than that and that @henry is right. A lot of the time, repairmen claim to have done work that they didn’t do or that was unnecessary. A man is more likely to question this than a woman is, so they mostly do it to women.

Andria Perry
      Participant

Yes because the mechanic THINK women wont get their hands dirty but let me tell you, they met the wrong women when they act like that to me. I check my oil, water, well all the fluids, I put air in my tires… I told the guy the other day if its more that what he told me, ” close her up and I will park it!” Then he tired to sell me a car. I said nope my friend has one I will buy and suddenly all the prices dropped.

I was not mean or hateful but to the point.

wolfgirl569
      Participant

I have a couple of good places that I take my vehicles. One I often stand and talk to the guy while he is working and if he needs a second set of hands help out. My old truck was a bear just to do an oil change on because of where the oil filter was located. The other place has always had my old parts laying there for me to see when I pick it up. I do have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge so they are unable to play games with me. I just do not have the tools needed to do most of the work. Have had a lot of fun with sales men over the years when they were trying to sell me a heap of junk. One guy looked like he was about to pass out when I crawled under the truck I was looking at.

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

I think because most women tend to believe fast with some words, some are taking advantage. So instead of able to save from something, they tend to pay more.

lejla1311
      Participant

It depends on the situation and the woman. There are some women who can not be fooled or tricked in any way. They inform themselves properly. But there are also those who pay much more than they should.

catthsy
      Participant

nowadays both should be equal

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.