Daily Accountability Thread – Week of April 18th

Activity Forums Writing Content Daily Accountability Thread – Week of April 18th

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

I notice that a number of us are saying we’d like to get more serious about earning on BlogJob, and I thought an accountability thread might help with that. Not only does it encourage us to follow through on our goals – but it may also help some of us to network and support other writers’ work, to brainstorm new writing ideas and earning strategies, and to be inspired by other members.

Please share your plans for any day this week – April 18th through the 24th – either on the day of, or on the night before. Then after you’ve finished working on a task, come back and reply to your original post, to share your progress with the rest of us. (HINT: Put the date and your name at the beginning of the comment to make it easier to find!)

Let’s encourage each other by reading and offering words of support, and also by taking the time to read and promote the work of authors whose writing we appreciate!

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

APRIL 18TH – KYLA MATTON OSBORNE (RUBY3881)

Today I have three main goals for my writing on BlogJob:

1) Finish Facebook promotion of the post I wrote about graphic use and copyright infringement last night, and show support for writers in my groups there;

2) Migrate a recipe to my 24 Carrot Diet blog

3) Create a new post for my writing blog

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Well, so far I’ve finished items #1 and #2 – though I still have to promote my post now. It’s called “Why Is This Frugal Recipe of Historical Interest?” 🙂

Can you guess what food I’m writing about? (No peeking until after you answer!

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I have accomplished my goals for today! I earned my maximum 150 points mostly through interacting, so I decided to schedule the writing post for tomorrow. This way I am making the most of those 50 points, and I already have a head start on tomorrow’s earnings!

Lee Ka
        Participant

That’s good. Congratulations! I still have to interact more so I will reach my daily limit.

Just a question, is it okay if we post the link to our site or blog post here? I am a newbie, I am not sure about this. Thanks. 🙂

rextrulove

As long as it is in context, sure. In other words, don’t spam, but otherwise, there is no problem with giving the link, especially if it helps answer someone’s question.

Lee Ka
        Participant

Thanks for your reply. You are always very helpful.
        I just noticed you are a moderator here, sorry for being not so observant. 😀

rextrulove

That is quite okay. I haven’t been a moderator for long. 😀

cmoneyspinner
        Participant

Excellent! My goal is to follow you around and copy what you do. LOL 🙂 At one of my old jobs they used to say: “If you got something that works, bottle it and sell it!” 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Treathyl!

DW Davis
      Participant

I think this is a great idea. My writing plan for tomorrow is to write a new post for my Exhausted Educator blog, edit at least one more chapter for the paperback copy of my latest book, and get some work done reformatting the paperback copy of my fourth book.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

That sounds like a fair amount of work. Editing can take more effort than the writing did, sometimes! Best of luck to you 🙂

DW Davis
        Participant

Thank you. I could use some luck to help me find the time to get this editing done. Thought I’d have been long since finished by now.

DW Davis
        Participant

Been home from school an hour and got the EE Blog post written and published. Now to spend some time editing book five.EE Blog post

Lee Ka
      Participant

APRIL 18TH – Lee Ka (kaka135)

I think this is a good idea too! I always like the idea of accountability.

1) Write a blog post – I have already written a post before I checked this about Not enough time.

2) Interact with others. It’s always fun to interact with others, and learn from others here.

As I only have 100 points for my daily limit, so these are what I plan to do. 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

It seems we were both on a similar wavelength with the theme of planning! Did you earn as many points as you’d hoped to for the 18th?

Lee Ka
        Participant

I always enjoy planning! 😀
        I didn’t reach my daily limit as I really didn’t have enough time to do so. But, it’s okay, I will try to do it today! 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I like the planning too! But it really feels good when I can check those tasks off at the end of the day 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

APRIL 19TH – KYLA MATTON OSBORNE (RUBY3881)

Since my blog post from item #3 from yesterday (“2 Awesome Strategies to Improve Writing Success“) was published today to maximize on earned points, I started the day with a little bit in my bank so to speak.

I have three goals again today:

1) Promote my earlier post on social media – most of which is done already

2) Publish a second post – which I’ve just done (“PM’s Quantum Computing Lesson: 2 Secrets You Need to Know“) and now just need to promote

3) Interact on BlogJob to earn the additional 50 points for which I’m eligible – and as I write this I’m standing at 147/150 for today, just before 13:00 my time

I feel very good about knowing I will reach my maximum again today. And because I was a bit ahead, I also took the time to create custom banners for the two posts. I’m hoping these help with social media shares, and that having more images actually in the body of the posts will make it more pleasurable for my readers to visit the blogs.

What are you up to with your writing, today? Share your goals here, and we’ll help keep you honest!

Lee Ka
        Participant

It’s good that you have already reached your goal for today. You reminded me to customize my sites and also promote my posts in social media as well. I haven’t do that yet. I will need to find time to do so… keep finding time. 😀

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

It can be very time consuming! And with a baby on the way, I’m sure time is short for you…

You might want to try just one social site to start with – one that you’re already using, like Facebook. Or you might find it’s just quicker to use the tools for Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, StumbleUpon, etc. These pretty much do the posting for you, so it goes pretty fast.

It takes me a bit longer because when I go to those sites I also interact with others there. And on FB I promote in different places like my fan page and in my writing groups – so I can’t just use the one-click FB share button….

Lee Ka
        Participant

Thanks @ruby3881 for sharing the social sites. I have thought of doing the rest, except for StumbleUpon. I didn’t use that, but it’s good to give it a try.

Do you create a separate account for promoting your sites, or do you use your personal account to do so?

I am currently busy with my software project, as I hope I can complete as much as possible before my baby arrives. 😉

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I use my personal accounts on Facebook, Pinterest, etc. Though I do also have a FB fan page where I share my posts, instead of spamming my friends and family with them! For sites like Twitter, I really only use them for writing promotion nowadays.

Lee Ka
        Participant

Thank you for sharing. I am actually still considering whether I should use a separate account for Pinterest. I like the idea of having the Facebook fan page, as I don’t want to spam my friends’s walls in Facebook too. They might not be interested in reading blogs. 😀

cmoneyspinner
      Participant

My goals today don’t really pertain to my BlogJob activity. I have a few other home biz projects that were started before I joined BlogJob and I can’t just drop them! I have blogs on Tumblr and Blogspot and several affiliate marketing websites. Also I have articles and pages published at different sites and have to check on my content from time to time, to make sure (a) the links aren’t broken and/or (b) the site hasn’t disappeared! One day my profile and blogs posts went missing at a site. Didn’t find out until much much later that the site owner had passed away and so did my work. No provisions had been to keep the site going. Hey! It happens! So make sure you have a backup plan.

Lee Ka
        Participant

You really have lots of blogging and writing work to do, hope you’ll be able to juggle all of them well.

I always wanted to back up my posts, but I have not actually do it. I really need to think of a backup plan soon. Thanks for reminding.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

@kaka135 If you use OneDrive (Microsoft) or Google Drive, it’s fairly easy to backup your posts when you write them. I have my computer set up to save to my hard drive and sync to the cloud. This way I can continue writing on a different computer or device, and there’s also a backup in case something happens to the computer’s hard drive.

Lee Ka
        Participant

I am using both One Drive and Google Drive for my work projects and homeschooling resources, and sync them with my computer as well. I agree that it’s so much useful to have them on cloud, so we do not need to worry when we switch to another computer/device, or when our computer is broken down.

Do you organize your blog posts based on the day/month? One concern I have for backing up the posts in the file system is that we can’t have the category/tag assigned to them. Now when I write this, I have an idea, perhaps I can have folders for different categories, and posts with title and date as the file name. How do you normally organize your posts?

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Oh yes, backups are crucial! I compose offline and then just paste the posts into the submit forms. That, and I back my content up from my computer to the cloud. I’ve had too many computers die on me, and lost content that I then had to retrieve from elsewhere. I don’t take chances anymore…

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Treathyl, I meant to ask about your experience with Tumblr. How are you using the site, and does it seem worth the time you’re putting into it?

I set up a Tumblr because some of my sites (I think it started with Bubblews) were offering a button to share to Tumblr. But the sharing was complex (there were often problems that needed to be addressed by the web developer, and that would mess up the display of shared content.) I also just found the whole concept of Tumblr, and the Tumblr community especially, very foreign. Too much like Tsu – just grab anybody’s content and use it however you like. It seemed pretty “wild West” in there, and I wasn’t connecting to anyone.

If you’ve found a way to get some substantial benefit from Tumblr, I’d be really interested in learning how you made it work for you.

cmoneyspinner
        Participant

Published my answer as a blog post. My Tumblr Experience

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Thanks! I’m off to read it 🙂

Lee Ka
      Participant

APRIL 19TH – Lee Ka (kaka135)

Again, today I will write a blog post and interact with others.

1) At first I planned to write a blog post on A mother’s joy about my children, but a friend just asked me how to create a site in BlogJob, so I am going to write a tutorial about that for her, and some other friends as well.

2) I got this idea from @nerdieeds , I plan to visit at least 5 friends daily, to check out how they are and their blog posts as well.

3) Check out what’s the news in forums and groups, and other friends as well (randomly).

Lee Ka
        Participant

1. I have finally written a post on How to create a site in BlogJob, hope this will help some friends to create their first site and start blogging.

2. I have visited more than 5 friends, but yet to compile the list of friends.

3. There are still a few more points for me to interact with others, and I am happy that I have achieved my goals for today. 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I think @mommaozzy might want to read that post! We were just starting to set up two blogs she wants to write here, and you covered a few topics I didn’t….

nerdieeds
        Participant

Thanks for the mention. I have bookmarked this discussion. I will check it back.

nerdieeds
      Participant

I started going around and visited some of my online friends. I hope I can continue with this commitment I set and see the results later on.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I try to visit a few people each day, though I’ve fallen behind a bit this week. It’s good to “make the rounds” a bit and stay connected 🙂

Lee Ka
        Participant

That’s good. Hope this accountability helps to motivate us and maximize our earnings as well. 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

APRIL 20TH – KYLA MATTON OSBORNE (RUBY3881)

I’m getting to this really late today because I spent time networking, and writing on MyLot earlier today. I also took a good look at my Blogger blogs and made some decisions about which ones I’d like to start reviving in the near future.

So I’m only at a handful of points today, and I need to get my butt in gear if I want to earn those 150 points!

1) I have an old post on giving attribution for graphic use, which I want to migrate to my writing blog.

2) I have a post about the Canadian $2 coin that I’d like to expand and migrate to my blog on Canada. I’ve been focused too much on politics, and I’d like to add content like this to introduce a bit more playfulness to the blog.

3) For the rest, I plan to interact and earn at least 130/150 points. I’d like to reach the max, but I’m doing a lot of work behind the scenes or on other sites today. So we’ll see….

cmoneyspinner
        Participant

My plans from last night bit the dust this morning when I saw a business article in Time Magazine about Facebook possibly paying individual users for their posts. Sorry. It was such a juicy lead. Had to pursue it. Generated two blog posts by sharing the article link. Didn’t have material to enough to write a 300 words post for BlogJob. So I had to share the info elsewhere. Still – with respect to my blogging adventures – I think it has been a productive day.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I’m quite a bit off track at the moment too, and for similar reasons! I got nosing around in my old Blogger blogs today. And then I started digging around online to try to discover why the Pinterest images are supposed to be longer than wide. Made some plans, found some solid info that will soon become part of a new blog post. And then discovered my blogs here are posing issues for social media sharing (grr!)

So lots more to do, and much of it is maintenance and not writing!

Lee Ka
        Participant

That sounds interesting! I’d like to find out more about it. Hope it’ll be a good news for everyone. 🙂
        Thank you for sharing this.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

OK, I got the post rewritten and uploaded for my Canadian content blog. It’s “How is a 2-Dollar Coin Like Hidden Treasure?

Next up, the graphics use post to migrate!

I’ve earned quite a few points from comments on posts today, as well as for interaction. So I’m probably just going to interact a bit now, and get the post saved for tomorrow.

gina145
      Participant

My only immediate goal is to try to write at least one post every day. Instead of writing anything I got caught up in trying to establish how factual a movie I saw today actually is. As a result I didn’t even manage to get much interacting done. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Lee Ka
        Participant

I agree that interacting actually takes more time, as we need to spend time navigating around and reading as well. I am hoping I can always find time to do that too.
        Good luck to you! 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Gina, I do that all the time! But those rabbit trails we end up on make great fodder for a blog post 😉

Lee Ka
      Participant

APRIL 20TH – Lee Ka (kaka135)

I started my day here quite late. Hopefully I can reach my goals today too.

1) I have written a post about siblings: Are your children jealous about the baby?

2) I have also visited more than 5 friends here.

3) I will spend the rest of my time to continue interact with others, participate in forums and groups as well.

27 more points to go. I will try to make it, as I need to spend time with my children now too. 😀

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

It sounds like you’ve done very well today! Congratulations 🙂

Lee Ka
        Participant

Finally, I have reached my daily limit. There are just 10 minutes left before the server reset time. I’ll need to work on my software project and spend time with my children before I come back here later. 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I didn’t get my 150 points yesterday, as I got busy elsewhere. I think I ended up with about 120 or 130 points, though.

Glad to hear you reached your goal!

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

APRIL 21ST – KYLA MATTON OSBORNE (RUBY3881)

First of all, I want to thank @kaka135 for inspiring me to take some time to visit a few more blogs. I normally do pop by to read, comment and share, when I’m going through my social media shares. But not everybody’s shares reach me – and some folks still don’t share at all. So I tried to spread a little page view love around to folks I haven’t visited in a while.

My further goals for the day:

1) A rewrite of an old blog post about attribution – already done! It’s called “Attribution for Graphics: What You Need to Do” and it goes through the process of writing an image credit, step by step

2) A little work on creating graphics that are sized especially for Pinterest – started, though I’d say I’ll need some practice! I created a template for GIMP so I can just create a new image of the correct dimensions. Then I have to decide what to put on it! The humongous image at the beginning of my post is the first of what I hope will be many.

3) I want to go back through some of my older blog posts and be sure the social media shares are working, as I’m told there are issues with Google+ especially. While I’m at this, I may try to create a few more of the Pinterest sized graphics to add to the posts.

4) I’m really not sure what else I’ll have time for, but I’d like to get to 150 points. So lots of interacting is in order today!

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Well, I didn’t get much done on #2 and #3 today, but I did make it to 150! I got a good bi of interacting done as well, and am happy with that 🙂

Goodnight all! It’s time for me to eat some BBQ hamburgers and hot dogs, and to relax with a little TV 🙂

Lee Ka
        Participant

Thanks for writing the post about Attributions for Graphics, that’s really helpful.

I wanted to say the pictures you created are nice! I’d like to do that as well, especially when you mentioned it’s good for pinterest sharing. I have GIMP installed, but I haven’t do the template before, I will find out how to do so soon. I think it really makes the post more juicy with some graphics.

Good that you have reached your limit today. Enjoy your dinner and TV time! 🙂

Lee Ka
      Participant

APRIL 21ST – LEE KA (kaka135)

1. I have written a blog post on kaka’s dreamland about Dealing with changes. It seems like there are some changes in my life, and I finally learned how to deal with them peacefully.

2. Again, I visited my friends’ blogs, participate in forums and groups as well. I’d really recommend reading @RUBY3881 ‘s post about Attributions for Graphics, that’s really helpful!

I almost reached my daily limit now, though there are just 10 minutes before server reset. It’s time to work a little bit harder, and go back to my freelance work soon. 🙂

Lee Ka
      Participant

APRIL 22ND – Lee Ka (kaka135)

1) My first goal for today is: START EARLY.
      I have always waited until almost the last minute to reach my goal or daily limit. I think it’s always good to start early, so I don’t rush for it.

2) Write a blog post about Cooking with Kids.

3) Visit at least 5 friends, read at least 5 blog posts, participate in groups and forums as well.

4) Pick a theme for one of my sites.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

These look like really great goals! I’m looking forward to your post on cooking with kids 🙂

Lee Ka
        Participant

1) I did reach my goal earlier today, as I had an appointment for my pregnancy checkup.

2) I didn’t write the post about Cooking with Kids, as when I was changing the theme for my site, I think it’d be good for me to write another simple tutorial for that too. So, I wrote How to change theme for BlogJob site?
        Hope this will be helpful for some friends too.

3) I interacted quite a lot today, and I really had fun doing so.

I will be continued tomorrow. I haven’t plan anything yet, as I am too tired now and it’s time to sleep. 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

APRIL 22ND – KYLA MATTON OSBORNE (RUBY3881)

I started my day with the deduction of 4 points for deleted replies. They all came very close together in time, so I’m thinking somebody must have deleted a conversation somewhere. Not a big deal, but it’s a tad discouraging to start the day with a negative balance 🙁

I’m up in the middle of the night, though, and I’ve decided to get a jump on the day’s productivity. Like @kaka135, I want to be a bit more on top of things today!

My goals:

1) Publish two posts on BlogJob

2) Continue to check older posts for issues that need fixing

3) Try to create a customized header for my 24 Carrot Diet blog

4) Lots of visiting and interacting in forums/groups

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

A little progress on the goals, so far!

I made the first blog post, “How to Get the Best Value from Fresh Carrots.” In the process of backlinking, I have started to make new Pinterest graphics for the posts it links to. And I am going back through links to be sure they contain the “?ref” bit so I’ll get credit for the visits. I wasn’t getting many at all before, so I suspect there was an issue with my links….

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

It’s 2:48 pm and I’m very pleased with my progress for the day! I got my second post (“Are Your Social Share Buttons Missing?“) published. It’s not the one I was planning, but in light of the disappearance of the sharing buttons I thought this was an important topic for a lot of us here. Please help to get the word around about the plugin. This will give you a new set of social media buttons for your blogs 🙂

When I submit this update, I will be at 150 points for the day. I haven’t done much visiting or interacting, though I did enough to earn 50 points, apparently!

What I did do was to begin fixing the issues with posts that needed an image on the page itself (because G+ and Facebook couldn’t always find the featured or header images.) I also made a few more images specifically for Pinterest, and I’m hoping they’ll help boost external traffic.

All in all, it was a good day! I worked hard, but I got things done.

Lee Ka
        Participant

Sorry to hear that you have points deducted. I have read that happens sometimes.

I’d be interested to read your post about missing social share buttons. I haven’t figure out how to add mine yet, perhaps your post will give me some guide to do this.

I am still working hard on reaching my goal today, though I wanted to start early, I spent much time with my software project earlier. I need to rush again, as I am going out to do my pregnancy checkup later. 😀

cmoneyspinner
      Participant

I worked on my other blogs this morning. Today is Earth Day so my posts and shares were related to the celebration. Once again. Didn’t have enough for 300 words to post here at BlogJob. My points limit is 150 per day. I try to reserve 100 points in case I can prepare and publish 2 blogs posts. The remaining 50 to be earned is for my social activity – wall comments, participation in groups and forums, reading blog posts of others and commenting.
      Anybody here celebrating #EarthDay2016 ?

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I tend to divide my points up that way too, Treathyl 🙂

Lee Ka
        Participant

It’s really nice of you to write and celebrate Earth Day. I wanted to celebrate it and do some activities together with my children, but I was too busy with my software project and didn’t prepare much. Hopefully I’ll be able to introduce this day to my children and have some activities with them next year.

thisnthat
      Participant

This is a good idea. I like the idea of motivating each other. You might want to consider setting up a group for this. Just a thought.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

That is actually a great idea! Now that we’ve generated some interest in the exercise, I think I probably will 🙂

cmoneyspinner
        Participant

Hmmm? Interesting. Glad @thisnthat noted the distinction. I just realized this is a Forum and not a Group. 🙂 I find the info useful no matter if it’s shared via a forum or a group. But would you happen the advantages of one over the other? Are Groups better than Forums?

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Good question, Treathyl! There are actually advantages to having a group, including improved functionality and the ability to see at a single glance all of the folks involved in the conversation (group.)

I have created a group called Writers’ Accountability (which I know you’ve already joined!) But I’m linking here for anyone else who wants to come check it out 🙂

cmoneyspinner
        Participant

I joined immediately and hope others do too! 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I hope so too, Treathyl! We’ve had a very immediate response to several of the invitation I sent out. Others are not online right now, but I expect we’ll see additions throughout the day 🙂

Anyone can join or invite another user to join, so I hope people will just come along and let themselves in. The more the merrier!

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

APRIL 23RD – KYLA MATTON OSBORNE (RUBY3881)

Today and tomorrow will be my last posts here. After that, I’ll be posting my goals to the Writers’ Accountability group, and invite everyone to join me there!

Goals for today:

1) Earn my 150 points through a combination of interaction and posts;
      2) Continue with visiting, and sharing the blog love 🙂
      3) Figure out how to configure the Super Socializer plugin so I can customize what it does on each blog;
      4) Work on a post for a long-neglected Blogger blog;
      5) Continue to play with graphics for Pinterest 🙂

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I got the blog post for Blogger done (“What is the Significance of the Sun in Astrology?“) and I’ve done some nice Pinterest graphics today.

I have done a ton of interacting, both on BlogJob and off it. I also did some updating of info in FB writing groups, and started exploring some of the FB pages from the group here on BlogJob.

I am at 108/150 for today. I’d like to get to 150 – or even just 120 or 130. But time is getting short…. We’ll see!

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

Oh I can’t see the group but I saw the forum.
      Mine will be this. I always plan to complete my daily limits per day through interaction either through blog posts or forums, replying to comments on my posts, blogging and posting on my wall or the walls of the other members.
      I also need to always remember to share the blog posts of the newbies to help them with the views.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Grecy, if you can’t find the group check your group invitations. I sent you one earlier.

Thanks for mentioning sharing the posts of newer members! It’s such an important thing to not only read others’ posts, but also to leave comments and to share the ones we appreciate in our social media accounts. This kind of networking helps us all 🙂

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

That is my problem sissy, i can’t see the notifications. I checked my lists and the invitation is not there. Maybe some glitch, I will check it again later. But I am seeing a notification that I am invited by you.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I’ve had a few issues with notifications lately too, Grecy. Glad you found the group anyway 🙂

Lee Ka
      Participant

APRIL 23RD – Lee Ka (kaka135)

I started my day here very late, and I might not even reach my daily limit here today.

1) I have finally written a post about Cooking with Kids which I thought of it earlier.

As I still need to go out later, so I will just spend time interacting with others as much as I can.

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

APRIL 24TH – KYLA MATTON OSBORNE (RUBY3881)

As there are so many people already active on the new Writers’ Accountability group, and as Sunday is the usual start day for the week, I decided to post my goals there for the first time today. Please join me on the group, to discuss our goals and support each other in the work of the day 🙂

thisnthat
      Participant

I just joined the group. Thanks for making it. I can use the motivation!

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I’m glad folks are finding it helpful! And I think we can all use the motivation 🙂

Coral Levang
      Participant

Well, I certainly missed this week. LOL

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.