Comfort Food

Activity Forums General Discussion Comfort Food

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

A comfort food is often one that brings back a childhood memory. But it could also be a food we associate with being pampered, or one that isn’t necessarily good for us despite the fact that we love it – and so it becomes both an emotional and physical treat.

I have strong memories of eating fried egg breakfasts with a hot cup of tea when I was a teenager. Everyone used to do their own thing on weekdays, but on the weekend my parents liked to fry eggs and bacon for everyone. As I got older, I started to make a sort of hash brown dish with onions, fried potato and bits of bread in it. That, with a couple of sunny side eggs, was my comfort food for many years after I left home.

Do you have a food that has not only a physical significance, but an emotional one?

rextrulove

Homemade chicken soup with homemade egg noodles. Also, venison backstrap steaks with mashed potatoes, gravy and fresh tomato salad.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Wow, those are really specific meals Rex! I’ll bet there’s a good story behind them πŸ™‚

rextrulove

@ruby3881, there is indeed a story behind those, but it would take too long to tell. πŸ™‚ Another such food that is easier to explain is French Toast, which I still love. The explanation is this:

After my mother and father split up when I was six, my brother and I stayed with dad. He really tried, but he wasn’t much of a cook. So for about nine months, breakfast every morning except Sundays consisted of super crispy bacon, hard fried eggs and pancakes that looked, tasted and felt like a frisbee. On Sundays, dad would let us choose breakfast. He actually did a good job on French Toast, so that is usually what we asked for. (Granted, there isn’t a lot to scrambling some eggs, dipping bread in it and frying it, but he still cooked that good. lol) It was a relief from the ‘regular’ fare. To this day, I don’t like crispy bacon, hard fried eggs or rubbery, overcooked pancakes.

Angeles
      Participant

Mine is a sweet pudding my mother used to prepare, with eggs, milk, sugar, and a type of muffins we have here in Spain. Whenever I cook it, well, you know, I feel like at home πŸ™‚ (Oops, it’s name is “pan de calatrava”, here’s the link: https://www.azucardecolores.es/blog/pan-de-calatrava/

rextrulove

@angeles, though we didn’t make this with the muffin or anything like that, this sounds very much like the first pudding I learned to make, when I was 6-years-old. The only difference is that I added 2 tablespoons of baking cocoa. It was chocolate pudding. πŸ˜€

Angeles
        Participant

Chocolate pudding! @rextrulove, I’m addicted to chocolate! πŸ˜€

rextrulove

Well, it sure brought back memories, @angeles. In fact, so much so that I posted Mom’s old recipe…the one I committed to memory so I could make it day after day. lol I still love chocolate, but not as much as I did when I was young.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

It feels to me almost like a cross between bread pudding and the Quebecois pouding chΓ΄meur (“poor man’s pudding.”) Both of those are comfort foods for me πŸ™‚

realityspeaks
      Participant

Egg and bread used to be my daily breakfast, it’s changed over the years.

Nana
      Participant

My momma made the best ever cornbread brings me back

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

Me, my one comfort foods are taho and binatog. Binatog is corn with grated coconut meat, while taho is made up of tofu with sweet syrup.

blueberry
      Participant

I always love stew for a comfort food. It always makes me feel home!

MissyWeng
      Participant

Century eggs with tomato would be the best for me.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Interesting! I don’t think I’ve ever found anyone who likes century eggs before. Most of what we read about them is that they’re – um, an acquired taste πŸ˜›

Andria Perry
      Participant

From momma, Fried chicken.

For pampering – Cheesecake, lemon pie and key lime pie.

I remember from my past, say in my twenties I used to use pasta as a comfort food and I gained wright and come down with diabetes.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Mmm, fried chicken! I love cheesecake too, but i’m very picky about how it’s made.

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

One of my additional comfort right now is Pancakes. I love pancakes.I even put powdered milk with sugar in it and I love it. i really loving pancakes because that is the only food I can eat right now and even remember my childhood.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I can understand this one! Pancakes were also a comfort food for me, at one point. I used to also make Johnny cakes (corn meal pancakes) because they reminded me of two special friends who were very close to me when I was in college πŸ™‚

shaloowalia
      Participant

aloo paranthas with butter and pickle

monsterjar03
      Participant

Chicken macaroni soup.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

I love chicken soup with noodles in it! My favourites are bow ties πŸ™‚

rextrulove

Homemade ice cream is another of mine.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

What flavour, Rex? I think I’d go for strawberry, if the berries were in season.

rextrulove

@ruby3881, huckleberry or coffee. I had some that was blackberry and banana, though, that was excellent.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Oh, I love coffee ice cream! I’ve made my own coffee flavoured yogurt, but I must confess I’ve never had homemade coffee ice cream….

LuckyStar
      Participant

My mother’s fish in tamarind soup.

Kyla Matton Osborne
        Participant

Fish soup is not common here. Except for clam chowder, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten any kind of fish soup….

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

For me it would be Earl Grey tea πŸ˜€

Kyla Matton Osborne
      Participant

Me too, Sandy! But yes, as we get older it gets harder to do!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.