Choosing a Niche

Activity Forums Writing Content Choosing a Niche

This topic contains 32 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Francine Labelle 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Stephanie C
    Participant

As bloggers we are always being told about the importance of choosing a niche. I tend to stick to the homemaker, education, and lifestyle niches.

What’s your niche, and why did you choose it?

Grecy Garcia
    Participant

My niche is about reviews, personal stuff and pets. Or maybe foods. Those are my only niche.

Anne Farmer
    Participant

I have a few niches I have been known to stick to but they aren’t limited to that. Good idea to have at least one to get users to know what you like to blog about most. You could blog about those old 80’s singers 🙂

munda23
    Participant

I am also trying some about reviews, earn money, monetisation etc.

angie10
      Participant

@munda23….those are very good topics on which to write. i bet you have a huge following 🙂

cessy08
    Participant

I have a blogger blog that talks about my journey as a first time Mom. I created it after my first son turned over a year old. When I learned about Blogjob, I opened three sites: a diary, a recipe blog, and a product review blog.

angie10
      Participant

@cessy_08….good on you! you must have a lot of material to work with!

I started out with a niche but — and this always happens — I get bored writing about just one thing. And it seems tedious to add more blogs for other niches. So instead I write about everything in one blog. For instance, my blog What Lies Beneath was supposed to be about the insect world and things beneath the surface. That idea lasted after my first post. So I would like to just add categories for my posts, but don’t know how. Any help would be most welcome

angie10
    Participant

I just go with my heart and focus on stuff I’m passionate about. My subject areas are Beauty, information on my country, Botswana and my day to day experiences which may be about anything, really.

realityspeaks
    Participant

Yes, a niche does help a great deal. If you are good at writing about a particular topic, it makes perfect sense to generate content related to that topic.

angie10
    Participant

@realityspeaks…that makes sense because I keep hearing that the best writers are those who write from the heart.If you care about the subject matter, you’re likely to have a lot to say about it.

gina145
    Participant

I’ve tried a few different things but the only niche that’s really working for me right now is writing about bonsai. It can be hard work though because sometimes I need to go digging back in my photo archive to find the photos I need for a new post.

I’m still trying to come up with an idea for a blog that I can post to regularly without having to do all that work, but it needs to be something with a wide appeal.

rextrulove

I write mostly on plants, animal and herbal treatments on one blog, odds and ends (musings), science and stories on another and recipes on the third. Interestingly, the musings, which have no specific niches at all but tend to be on all sorts of different topics, tend to do the best of all, closely followed by the recipes.

blueberry
    Participant

My blogs are focus more on talks about life. And I’m glad to share some of my life experiences as well.

Danny
    Participant

personal, travel, news and editorial, this all works to me

ptrk12
    Participant

@stephanie_c

My niche is

a)Tech topics
    b)Traffic and issues of day to day lives.
    c)Economics and Trade
    d)Cricket
    e)Increasingly short stories

Most are out of my own interest and first one is out of interest and own professional experience.

blueberry
    Participant

My niche focusing on Life. Everything that happens around from love, reality and many more. I love talking about life.

Fifi Leigh
      Participant

write about lifestyle of your area….

Fifi Leigh
    Participant

mine is probably the arts. i like creative stuff mostly, but i will check out other stuff if i run into it on my path.

Anne Farmer
    Participant

I have a rather difficult time choosing just one niche. I have some issues with that too when selling stuff on the internet. I guess I’m destined to just have a variety of niches in general.

angie10
      Participant

That’s me too, Anne farmer….and i don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, as long as we continue writing 🙂

suni51
    Participant

I am a marketing professional and HR man and have traveled widely so my writing reflects mostly about that but the current topics are also in my list. I read an article by @rextrulove that motivated me for sharing some of my own recipes.

Jessica
    Participant

I feel like my niches change as I develop old interests and find new interests. I always have a niche for personal chatter that is serious but can be written as a stream of consciousness. When I write in more serious niches, I break them into blogs that are very specific. Newsgirl Tells the World is for general news while The Language, Literature, and Literacy blog relates to news about books, education, and writing. Sometimes I choose niches that I may not stick with forever but see the need to focus on for the time being.

Danny
    Participant

my niche is on personal, travel, food and news.

MissyWeng
    Participant

I focus my blogs more on the life as a parent.

I love to write about what I know, I am a very spiritual person. I go with the self-help, spiritual stuff. That is just me.

rextrulove

@brendamarie, I don’t do much as far as self-help, but one of my blogs is specifically for the spiritual part. I’m glad to hear that you are also spiritual.

@rextrulove mine is a lot different from your’s though, I write a lot about light work healing Reiki and other spiritual healing. Plus sub like metaphysics, shamanism, and wiccian

Diya
    Participant

My niche is sleeping and eating.

angie10
    Participant

@diya….that should be interesting! I’ll stop by your blog and see what you have to say on those topics.

Francine Labelle
    Participant

Good morning everybody. I am fairly new here on blogjob. I am still trying to find my writing niche. I feel I cannot write about my life, travels and past experiences because my life has been and remains very boring and mundane. But I was a registered nurse so I could write about diseases and treatments etc. Another big interest of mine is history especially prior to WW11. I guess I could write historical type blog essays. I do knit, crochet, cross stitch, tat and embroider but I enjoy doing these with my hands but nor really writing about these. So what I am asking from the forum is: any suggestions? I have read most of the posts and comments and some are very interesting but most focus on personal matters and I am wary of being personal online. Anyway, thank you for any comments or suggestions you might have. Also a big thank you for admitting me to blogjob.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.