Any topics that are "off limits" to you personally?

Activity Forums Writing Content Any topics that are "off limits" to you personally?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

dbeck975
      Participant

Just curious about other people and wondering if there is any topics that are personally off limits to you in your writing?

dbeck975
      Participant

Please allow me to clarify my question. What I am asking is whether there are any subjects that you, as a writer may find to be too offensive to your personal values or belief that you would absolutely refuse to write about it.

kendra
      Participant

I actually don’t think there’s any topic (beliefs, controversial issues, etc.) that I refuse to write about. Heck, I don’t think there’s any I *haven’t* written about! LOL. Kidding. I definitely don’t try to get on topics that are controversy, but I have done so. I will if I feel like I have something that would truly contribute to others, even if it’s just knowledge. Knowledge is important, so for the sake of it, I will go there, but I try to not. Well, most of the time. There have been times where I’ve been fired up about something (usually good cause!) and have voluntarily done that, though. As far as my beliefs, I certainly won’t avoid mentioning them in my writing if there’s a place where it “calls for” it.

What about you?

mcisper
      Participant

OK, this may get me into trouble but the one subject I would never ever write about id man on man homosexual sex. I have nothing against homosexuals; hell, I write erotic stuff and have no qualms regarding writing lesbian scenes. But as a heterosexual male I just can’t envision writing a scene of a sexual nature between two men. Make sense; again I am not homophobic but when it comes to my writing I write about things that would turn me on.

vincenblack
      Participant

dbeck, like a comedian, I only impose limits if I don’t believe I can convey my message in the way I envisioned it.

kendra, I’m with you. If you come from a place of educating and not just being controversial or antagonistic, then have at it.

mcsiper, you’re no more homophobic for not wanting to think about homosexual male sex than someone can be accused of hating their parents because they wouldn’t want to write about their sex life.

May
        Participant

For me love and relationships remain personal and it becomes difficult for me to share it in writing. Perhaps insight through life at large has left a greater impact on my writing.

kendra
        Participant

LOL. Ya’ll two cracked me up on that. You said that well, too about writing from an educational perspective. I tend to enjoy doing that sometimes on controversial topics, without really putting my opinion in the piece, but letting the reader decide based on all evidence and information on the subject. I recently did an article on fluoride and found it kind of tough not to let my opinion on it show through, though. Lol. 😉

I also loved your way of saying that about the parents. Haha. Makes sense. It’s not easy to write about something you feel no passion towards, so it does make sense that you’d avoid certain ones, even if you are not opposed to it. 😉

Pegasus
        Participant

LOL Vincenblack that was the most genius answer ever about parents and their sex life. You’re absolutely right, that is not something I want to talk about and probably would not approach that on purpose.

vivek190992
      Participant

My writings are greatly inspired from either the true incidents or purely from my dreams. So, considering the spread of these two sets, I don’t think any topic is off limit to me.

90skids
      Participant

I’m not sure. I find romance a little hard to write about

Amalthea Hustles
      Participant

I would write about anything if it either paid well enough or seemed interesting.

I guess I’d probably back out on writing about politics or law, though, because I’m so afraid of not getting it right. I mean, I’d be willing to, but not without someone to check it for me before I submit anything.

Emily Hargrove
      Participant

I try not to put limits on myself because I don’t know what the future holds or when I’m going to get the inspiration to write about something. I try not to write about politics too much (mostly because my political beliefs are weird and I know I would lose readers. Plus who wants to read nothing but politics? Boring). I also don’t like writing about crime that much. Criminals tend to make me angry, so if something happens… I don’t know, I don’t want to report on it.

kendra
        Participant

Emily — Yep, crime is something I wouldn’t want to write about as well. I sometimes take an interest in reading about it (like the book Helter Skelter, but that’s just an odd interest I have in learning more about what makes people do such horrific things). I just don’t like the energy surrounding crime, though, especially if it’s something to write/read about on a regular basis. Just seems like it’d kind start to seep into your everyday life and maybe cause some negative energy. I don’t know, but I do try to avoid too much crime/negative reading, so I wouldn’t do much writing on it myself, either.

Pegasus
      Participant

I have not yet met a topic that I didn’t want to write about, but I do tend to stick to the things that intrigue me, interest me, make me laugh, it’s not as though anyone has asked me to write anything. So I guess I do choose my own topics, so I wouldn’t choose something that I have no knowledge about or that just doesn’t make me happy. I can give an opinion about just nearly anything though, but I tend to just naturally stay away from politics and religion.

Danae
      Participant

Religion is off limits to me right now simply because it’s something more personal for me, I am still exploring different religious/spiritual paths and maybe when I am feeling more comfortable I will write about it 🙂

Kimberly Brown
      Participant

I have many topics I will not write about because some is very personal and some is no ones business and I would not want opinions of others on. I think everyone may have a limit to what they will or will not write about.

Jessica
      Participant

As an aromantic grey-asexual (basically, I have no romantic bone in my body and there’s a miniscule possibility I could feel sexual attraction but I haven’t even felt anything close to it yet) I can’t write romance. Well, I can make an attempt. It just never reads right. The best I’ve ever gotten to writing romance is literally what I wrote on my blog about my Never-Was friend, and that was a bad romance if it was any type of romance at all. It follows that I also can’t write about sexual activity. You know the bad fan fiction that reads “…Then they do it”? That is genius compared to how I write.

Brooke
      Participant

I thought about writing about life but I also don’t want to get too personal. Just because some things are private and shouldn’t be publicized. Not that there is anything wrong with people who write that way, I’m just a somewhat private person.

I also recently thought about writing about something that is controversial but I would want my name to be really private if I did that. I was thinking of doing it though, but have to figure it all out before I did it. Just because controversial things can be somewhat personal, offensive, and start arguments.

Participant

Politics. Just not my cup of tea.

SadieMarie
      Participant

Yes the same with me I’d say the only thing I wouldn’t write about would be politics. That maybe and autos and sports.

Stephanie C
      Participant

I don’t leave much off limits… unless I’m not very knowledgeable on the topic. I stay away from things I have no business writing about. I like to be informed before deciding on an opinion.

Grecy Garcia
      Participant

I personally avoid about religion and about technical reviews, like gadgets reviews because I know i cannot give justice to that review.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.