Any "odd" hobbies?

Activity Forums General Discussion Any "odd" hobbies?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Amber R.
      Participant

Have you ever had a hobby that someone’s said “Now I did not expect you to like something like this!” ? Well, I definitely know that feeling all to well. Ever since I was a young girl, I’ve been a collector of Transformers figures. And I’ve heard anything from ‘girls shouldn’t like that stuff’ or ‘but it’s only for boys’.

It just makes me laugh.

What about you guys? Any interesting hobbies that you’d like to share?

kendra
      Participant

Ah! What an awesome hobby/collector! 😉

I do not have one I would consider “odd,” but people do comment frequently with surprise when they learn I crochet. I guess people think only the elderly do this, and of course they usually follow with jokes about me also being a cat owner. What is it about women who crochet and own cats being called old?! Lol. It cracks me up, so I go along with their “rocking chair with kitty in your lap” jokes. Ha Ha. But, it’s not exactly an odd hobby.

I collected antique hat pins as a kid though. Does that count? 🙂

Amber R.
        Participant

Oh neat! I wish I could have learned to crochet, but I’ve never been around someone who could do it. Watching a few videos has led me to believe it’s a very…hard thing to pick up. I was never much of a sewer/crafter as a kid!

kendra
        Participant

Hey, I was in the same boat! I never had family members or anyone around me who crocheted or knitted, so I had to learn solely from the likes of YouTube and some incredible bloggers who have a knack for providing detailed (and image-filled) instructions/tutorials. Lol. In fact, I’ve even put up my own video tutorials for crochet on my blog. My sewing skills are something I am sometimes ashamed of! Lol. But something about crochet.. After enough videos, I had to try and it took some time but it happened. I still get confused on some written patterns (one misplaced comma can really create a yarn nightmare! Lol), but for the most part, they’re do-able. So, if you ever had a lot of free time and patience, you could most definitely do it. The hardest part for me was holding the hook the first few times and actually being able to catch the yarn and pull it through my “chain”. Thought I’d never get that! Lol. 😉

Pegasus
        Participant

Kendra, lol that is so funny, yes – people assume that only old ladies, or more recently I’ve heard “hipsters,” crochet. My mom taught me years ago and then my mother in law re-taught me. Whenever I don’t want to bother her though I will look up stuff on youtube

SadieMarie
      Participant

I’d have to say maybe trying exotic foods would be one.

Pegasus
      Participant

I love it! I don’t collect Transformers, but I used to play with them all the time!

Pegasus
      Participant

Okay let’s see, my odd hobby … I think people find it odd when they find out I do martial arts. I don’t know why.

Pegasus
      Participant

It’s been about a year now 🙂 I am a blue belt. I actually took a little break recently because my whole family does it and my husband was making me upset critiquing me all the time

kendra
        Participant

Oh my! Pegasus, I think that’s awesome that you take Martial Arts! Blue belt — very impressive! What is it about husbands that makes them always wanna critique our work?! Lol. They just love tossing in their 2 cents. LOL.

Oh, now that’s when YouTube comes in real handy — when you really want/need to learn something! It’s how I learned to crochet & knit! 🙂 I actually never really checked out YouTube much until I found the need to learn from the tutorials they have available. Of course after that I was hooked. 😉 I also like listening to all the positive affirmation videos, and audio books and those brainwave vids where they sometimes toss in “auto-suggestion” to hopefully create more positive thoughts in your mind, subconsciously. I use YouTube for guided meditation too! 🙂 Can’t believe it took me this long to discover the usefulness of that place.

Aha! Now some things make sense to me — I had been hearing the word “hipster” lately and didn’t really know what that was all about, but I see now. It’s something to do with crocheting! Lol. I think everybody I know has made an “old lady” comment about my crocheting, though. LOl.

Being a cat lover (and owner for most of my life), always makes people come even more alive with jokes “old cat lady.” LOL It’s when they start adding the word “creepy” in front of “old cat lady who knits” that I get a little feisty! Ha Ha. Just kidding. None of it bothers me. I just laugh because I can see the relation, I guess. Haha. And what is it with everyone calling it “knitting?” It don’t matter if you have a hook or needles, if you have yarn in your hand, they always call it knitting. LOL Not that that bothers me either, but it’s an observation, a funny one. I did start off knitting, so I understand why some people still refer to anything I do with yarn as knitting (because they forget I picked up crochet shortly after and haven’t really gone back to the needles since).

It’s all fun and games. I guess it was just so common for older folks to be seen with knitting needles or crochet hooks in their hands that it makes people think of it as an old-person hobby. I even made jokes when I first started getting into it, telling the kids in my family that they’d be going to school with scratchy ol’ sweaters, and their friends will be asking “did your grandma knit that for ya?” LOL. It would make for one incredibly fun laugh for me, though, if I did talk them into wearing an ugly, itchy sweater to school.

jkct01
      Participant

I don’t have any “odd” habits as far as I am concerned!

peachpurple
      Participant

I collect toilet paper rolls, vitagen empty bottles and coins, odd?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.