Adding Friends on Networking Sites

Activity Forums General Discussion Adding Friends on Networking Sites

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Coral Levang
      Participant

Being new to a site, when you are trying to build a network, it takes time. I wrote the following on my wall earlier today, not realize that it should have been here for discussion:

I so appreciate certain sites that give us an opportunity to read, comment, discuss, and write. These new social networking sites open so much up to all of us.
      What I have a bit of issue with is when people, mostly those who you do not know at all, request to add when , and with no explanation. Mass adding does not do much for any of us.
      I think it would be better to wait to add, if you do not know someone at all, and find another way to get to know people, commenting and interacting where you can, and developing a relationship to the person beforehand. Going through the all members lists and simply just adding in mass can seem disingenuine.

I find this same situation on the professional site, LinkedIn. People will add, with no explanation as to how they know you, or why they want to. It is simply a default “I’d like to join your professional network” statement. This bothers me on many levels, and I find it somewhat rude.

Perhaps, I am so old school that I understand that reciprocity is part of relationship-building. That does mean that one should keep score, but people need to know that you appreciate them, and why.

Am I the only one who is somewhat bothered by this phenomenon with social networking expectations of today?

dawnwriter
      Participant

For most people it is an easy way of getting 5 points per day. Other feel better knowing they have hundreds of friends on a particular site. personally I feel bad about pressing Reject button for friendship request, but in principle I agree with you.

I feel if you stay around a site long enough, there are some people who stand out and you feel a closeness to them no matter what. 🙂

Coral Levang
        Participant

Gulrukh, so you reject? I always feel a bit guilty about that, but would rather have 20 solid “friends” that I follow and vice versa, than 200 whom I don’t want to deal with.

Thank you for not rejecting me. 😉

Danny
      Participant

friends come as you get along here. if you’re rushing you can add them in the friends list

Coral Levang
      Participant

I do not believe in rushing anything, and I think that additions should come when the time is right. 🙂

kimdalessandro
      Participant

I agree too. I abandoned my old FB account because I had ‘friends’ that I didn’t even know, and I became tired of the drama. It was easier to burn that house down and start over. I prefer to have fewer real friends than hundreds that I don’t know and will never hear from. I felt guilty rejecting people at first, but I have to. I won’t get caught up in that again.

Coral Levang
        Participant

I find that it can become just as daunting here, as well. I have a list of about 10 people who have requested connection, yet I do not know (or do not remember) them.

I suppose it will all pan out before long.

metsrock69
      Participant

I put it on a few social networks that I was here and They can find me here. I am not going to to beg them to join. They will be here soon enough. until then, I will just talk to my new found friends.

Coral Levang
        Participant

If I have to beg any longer, then it’s just not the right time for people to join, if ever. I have to laugh, however, when they blame me later for not being on Facebook as to why they haven’t gotten in touch with me. *laughs*

Diya
      Participant

Great dear

suni51
      Participant

I do not send a FR to everyone but if someone wants to add me I don’t mind. But it’s not the same on LinkedIn or certain other sites like Twitter or FB where I have to be a little choosy.

Heart
      Participant

I am trying to be selective now. I add and ask for FR, by checking their wall first. If I find something interesting to read there and if they are active. I hit send FR or accept.

suni51
        Participant

@Heart I don’t think you have to be choosy here on this site with limited number of members but of course when it comes to sites like LinkedIn or Twitter etc you have to be choosy.

Ashuli Jain
        Participant

I agree, when I was new at Linkedin, I did add few people who I didn’t know but finally ended wasting time to remove them… and as for FB it’s strictly NO to strangers… just being careful…

Coral Levang
      Participant

I appreciate this group being started. I know that there could be some who join that I may have to ignore.

Perhaps I’ll just have to FOCUS on things that are important, and try to “chill,” as the kids are saying again nowadays. LOL

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.