Reply To: Religion

Activity Forums General Discussion Religion Reply To: Religion

kendra
Participant

I would not say that I “follow” religion, per se. By that, I mean religion as in the whole ritualistic rules and regulations that are typically followed in religion. If you’ve ever heard of “God Hates Religion,” then that explains my feelings towards it well. However, I do believe in God & have been Christian my entire life, and always will be, but instead of looking at my beliefs or “religion” as a set of rules to follow — or else go to hell — in life. Instead of really taking part in the religious stuff, which is what I was taught growing up in church all my life, the way to best describe it is I am “spiritual,” if that makes sense. Not in the way that it’s an excuse to sin or anything as I am aware of the 10 commandments and I do try to follow those, but more than anything, I lead a spiritual life where I kind of went about “looking within” to find God inside of myself. Sounds really odd, I know, but… Well, you always read about it in the bible that God is within you, but that statement never made full sense to me until, well, until it finally did. A man named Joshua Tongol who speaks to groups about religion and all things God helped me to understand things. A lot of what he’s said resonates with me, about who God really is.

I like to have a relationship with God, to communicate/pray, try to be “closer to God,” and that sort of stuff that most Christians typically do, but I don’t follow a lot of the beliefs or really make too big a deal about “how we’re ‘supposed’ to live” because I don’t feel like we were all meant to live exactly how people who wrote the bible lived, and I’ve found that a lot of “religion” focuses on that — on being a certain way — rather than on simply getting to know God, listening and believing, which when you do those things and they really come from the heart, then you’re most likely going to live like a person of Christ in turn.

Not sure if any of that made sense, especially since I’m dozing off, but I tried. 😉 Lol. It’d be interesting to know more about you guys’ and your beliefs, so I’m glad you posted this discussion. I always like learning how other people live and what is important to them.