Reply To: At what age do you allow your children to have a cell phone/smart phone?

Activity Forums General Discussion At what age do you allow your children to have a cell phone/smart phone? Reply To: At what age do you allow your children to have a cell phone/smart phone?

loula
Participant

yes, I totally get that some kids do need them, considering they participate in sports, after school activities, etc, and I know a few kids whose parents are divorced have them. I get that kids have them to fit as well. My daughter is nine and has been asking for a phone all year because all her friends have one. I will totally admit my husband and I gave in and gave her an old smart phone, she couldn’t call or text, and she could only download or use the internet with wifi. Then I got a call from another parent saying she had left an inappropriate email to one of her friends. She claims her friend was snap chatting her inappropriate things, and for some reason she couldn’t snap chat back so she just sent out that email. Long story short I took that phone away, and disabled snap chat, instagram, and whatever else I didn’t think was fit for a nine year old. I have since then given her that phone back but it is strictly for games only and I will periodically check it.
I am just curious to what everyone else’s thoughts were on this subject 🙂