Reply To: Have you ever helped a homeless person and if you did how did it make you feel?

Activity Forums General Discussion Have you ever helped a homeless person and if you did how did it make you feel? Reply To: Have you ever helped a homeless person and if you did how did it make you feel?

Pegasus
Participant

Yes I have. Several times in my life in fact. It made me feel like I had made a difference, that I was part of the solution, and that I wanted to continue to help. I used to bring food from work parties to a homeless man who slept right outside the transit system. I crocheted him a blanket and scarf for Christmas and a cover for his dog. I really liked that guy. I was 19 years old when I met him. I think about him sometimes, wishing I could have done more. Wondering if he got on his feet.

My mom, cousin, and my kids and I went to a program in our downtown area called Socks and Gloves and we had put together care packages with travel size stuff, hats, coats, gloves, socks. We also had bigger items that we let the homeless community choose from so they could get new stuff. It was a really big deal because it was one of the most humbling moments for me and my kids to hear the stories of how people became homeless, we sang songs with them, it was beautiful