Reply To: Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one?

Activity Forums General Discussion Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one? Reply To: Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one?

Pragati
Participant

I also once had an incident when some did a random act of kindness for me. I was a kid when I started breeding this fantasy of living somewhere far away, in a foreign land, where everyone speaks a language I don’t know, where the culture, the people everything is New, and strange and different from where I grew up.

When I was in High School one of my teachers suggested my name to an organisation called AFS, they conduct Cultural Exchange programs all over the world. The interview was 4 days after my 17 th birthday, and though I could not afford to pay the fare I still wanted to give it a try.

The results came in and I was one of the 43 students selected from all over India, it was a semi-scholarship so we still had to pay a small sum to the organisation. But something really bad happened in my family and my Father and his sister (2 main decision makers in the house) denied any support and said “You can’t go and thats final!”

It broke my heart, though my mom secretly told me that she will try to find a way out. She managed to get some money to shop and we were out shopping for Japanese Winters (as I live in hot country I didnt have any winter wear) The chapter president of Mumbai called asking whether I received my passport (Yes, it was the first time I applied for passport) I spoke to her and she wanted to talk to my mother.

My mother explained to her about the situation my Dad and my Aunt had put me in. And Guess what ? The Chapter President offered me full sponsorship, plus also reimbursement of Visa and Shopping.