Reply To: Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one?

Activity Forums General Discussion Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one? Reply To: Random Act of Kindness: Have you helped a stranger or received helped from one?

Pragati
Participant

I was once very depressed and had cried the whole morning. If you ask me the reason, I will tell you that I my boyfriend had given me a strong drink and I felt pressurized to drink it. It was whiskey mixed with coke and we were having a night out at a friends place. I never drank before and whatever they call Hangover was pretty depressing for me mostly because I was hurt that he forced me.

That same day it rained a lot. And when I was walking home from the bus stop, I saw an old lady standing under a shed (of a closed Stage where people can give talks) she looked lost and sad, and I was in tears myself too. I don’t know what came into me, I offered to drop her wherever she lived. She refused couple of times and finally came under my umbrella.

As we started walking, she started weeping and within no time burst into tears. She started tell me how her husband recently died of cancer, and that she never had to work before, and that now she was to raise the kids and she has found a job. She was very poor and sad.

After walking 5 minutes, we came to a crossing and she asked me to leave her here as it is not a good area for a girl like me. I told her its okay I will drop her till her doorstep. But she begged me to leave, she showed me a door which was open and said she lived right there and that its okay if I go. listened to her and went back home.

This one incident keeps coming back to me time and time again. It was very touching for me, the small interaction I had with her. I could feel her panic of leaving home to get a job, and the problems she faced after suddenly losing her husband. It also grounds me, reminds me that Tragedy can come to anybody without notice. I still sometimes think of her and pray that she is doing okay.

Though she lived in the same corner of the town where I did, I never saw her again.