Reply To: Beating Writers Block

Activity Forums Writing Content Beating Writers Block Reply To: Beating Writers Block

mcisper
Participant

Very difficult topic. I’m afraid I don’t have any helpful hints though. I just wanted to stop by and say that I have suffered with writer’s block for 10 years. Of course I refer to it as a Creative Coma. I woke up from my Coma last years and I have simply exploded in writing. I started by reading an abandoned short story I had begun in 2011 and ended up spending about 6 months on it to complete a full novel. Since then I published it and I made more progress on another abandoned novel project that I started in 2004; then I shelved that again to write a short stories book which is a counterpart to my publishing debut novel. I finished that book just this week.

Let me go back a moment and let you in on a secret that helped m slightly prolong my creativity from slipping into its coma. Did I mention that I considered myself a poet? Well, that was what I primarily wrote. What I did was come up with the idea of trying to write something completely and totally different then what I was use to; and in doing so I hoped to be able to at least spark a bit of inspiration within my poetry as well. So, in the last three months of 2003, was when I wrote and completed my very first novel; and then I slipped into my coma.

I guess what I’m saying is to just keep trying. Regardless, writer’s are going to get blocked; eventually it will come back. It just sometimes takes longer for some then others. Oh, one last thing. Try not to let the demands of the so called real world get to you too much because I know that played a real big role in my 10 year episode of Creative Coma. In that ten years I only wrote about 15 poems.