Found a well written article on the difference between Sunni and Shia Muslims. Only problem is … it doesn’t mention ISIS or ISIL not once. http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/934 (Published 2005; updated 2014. Archived copy fetched from the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20140908003708/https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/934)
The article did help shed a little bit of light on a dark and murky subject. But since it didn’t really clarify decided to research whether or not ISIS recognizes or reveres the late Osama Bin Laden. Based on my research, the question should have been reversed. Should have asked if Bin Laden encouraged or supported the nurturing of ISIS. Seems he didn’t.
- “ISIS was too brutal for Osama bin Laden, letter reveals.” https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/ISIS-was-too-brutal-for-Osama-bin-Laden-letter-reveals-370744 (Published 2014.)
- “Osama Bin Laden warned jihadists not to form ISIS: Documents found in bin Laden’s compound say to focus attacks on America.” https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bin-laden-warned-jihadists-not-to-form-isis-10264505.html (Published 2015.)
In the process of trying to make the Bin Laden-ISIS connection or disconnect rather, found an extensive and detailed write-up in The Atlantic, a well-known and respected publication, about what ISIS really wants. WARNING! The “ignorant” reader will not be able to digest the content in one reading. However from one reading one could extract the following: ISIS goes beyond al Qaeda; followers are supporters of the establishment of a caliphate and motivated by religious beliefs that they’ll impose on everybody if they succeed in getting what they want. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/ (Published March 2015)
Posed a different question after trying to wade through the quicksand of that article. Does ISIS agree with the Taliban? The answer is NO.
- “Taliban vs. ISIS: The Islamic State Is Doomed in Afghanistan”. https://nationalinterest.org/feature/taliban-vs-isis-the-islamic-state-doomed-afghanistan-13153 (Published Jun 2015)
- “Now ISIS declares war on the TALIBAN in Afghanistan”. https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/608187/Islamic-State-ISIS-war-Taliban-Afghanistan (Published Sep 2015)
Well! That makes things clear as mud. Better not search out ties between Hezbollah and ISIS. Might end up using the word “quagmire” in several sentences.
Complicated world we live in eh? The mention of setting up space colonies used to provoke scoffing and mocking disapproving remarks from me.
It’s certain that anybody who attempts such a project has embarked on an impossible mission. But somehow … the possibility of a “fresh start” is beginning to look kind of attractive.
- Distant planet with bright stars in deep space galaxy ~ © Photographer: PixelParticle
- Journey to Mars boarding pass ~ © Photographer: Disigner
- Mars colony with comets, meteors, craters, satellites, bases, rover, shuttles in space ~ © Photographer: Cookamoto